Rslogix 500 Documentation

pct_jimmy

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Some of the saved programs for our slc's have been lost and when I try to upload the program there is no documentation. Is there something I'm missing or is there no way to retrieve the documentation.

You're not missing anything...

The documentation does not live in the PLC - only the program. The documentation only resides on the harddrive.

The PLC does not hold the comments or tag names within the PLC.

If you upload from a SLC into a "new" project you loose all references.

Some of the newer PLC's have enough memory to store all that information, but most do not.

EDIT - Got beat to the punch!

If your only copy is the one in the PLC then I'm afraid you've just had a very unpleasant lesson in the importance of file management. The poor file management may or not be your fault, but either way,, its still your problem because you are the one who has to deal with it. Been there, done that myselfo_O . Hopefully you have a hardcopy printout somewhere. If so then you will have to re-enter the comments and symbols. You could also enter them into a spreadsheet and import the spreadsheet. Sans hardcopy, you have no other choice but to just gut up and do the best you can at re-documenting the program - hopefully you still have the wiring diagrams - so start with documenting the IO points, then go from there.

Edit to add:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=5464

Here is an excel spread sheet that I have posted previously. You can enter address, symbols, and comments. If any entry is too long the cell will highlight. After you have it filled out, delete the top row and save it as a .CSV file. Then import it into RSLogix. I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Good advice there from Alaric.
Often your PLC will be connected to SCADA or a Panelview or some other HMI, which will normally have a Symbol database.
I will normally export from the HMI database, then import into the PLC database.
You still will not have any rung comments, but at least you will have some idea of what is in the program.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Most of these problems are because the manufacturer decided not to leave us a copy of the program and others are because someone stole the laptop we where using, and alas its my job to pick up the pieces.

the manufacturer decided not to leave us a copy of the program

depending on your relationship with them, if you call and ask them for a copy, they might be able to help you out ... another straw to grasp at: maybe a sister plant has the same machine ... if so, you might be able to borrow a copy from them ... one more: dig around in the "documents" pocket of the control enclosure ... sometimes there's a floppy stuck in there ...

good luck ...