RSLogix 500 Instruction Help

how deep shall we dig? ...

Greetings John ...

"how do we turn off a bit in a PLC?" ... Unlatch ...

now I’m DEFINITELY NOT going to argue with that ... because I totally agree ... and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with what you’ve posted ... but ... what I’m about to say “goes further” than the answer that you gave ...

in one of my classes the only “correct” answer to the question would be “by writing a ZERO into the bit/box” ... the subtle difference is that there are MANY things that can write a ZERO into a bit/box - other than the OTU (Unlatch) instruction that you mentioned ...

going even further down the “subtle detail” path ...

... only what "turns it on", then it's off the rest of the time.

here I would tend to quibble ...

a little background first: many (most?) of my students come into the class believing that the OTE (Output Energize) instruction “works like a coil” ... in many (most?) cases they’ve been told this by well-intentioned co-workers (or even instructors) who are trying to “simplify” the subject of ladder logic so that the common maintenance technician can better understand it ...

in one of my five-day classes, the “works like a coil” idea will be TOTALLY and COMPLETELY annihilated before lunchtime on Monday morning - as will many other common misconceptions ...

now ... if we were in the lab, here’s the way I would demonstrate why I would prefer a different answer ...

first we would program in a VERY simple rung ... just one XIC - addressed to a real honest-to-goodness toggle switch ... and just one OTE - addressed to a real honest-to-goodness contactor coil ... naturally turning the switch ON and OFF in the field makes the contactor turn ON and OFF in the field ... the students can actually see and hear it clunking ON and OFF ...

at this point in the show, the “works like a coil” idea adequately explains the operation of the OTE ... but then - at THIS point in the show, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and life is lovely ... and the maintenance technician is taking things easy ... (and THIS point in the show is where most instructors stop with the OTE - and move right on to another subject) ...

now let’s say that a “problem” occurs ... the problem is that “someone” has accidentally deleted the rung that controls our contactor ... now WHO would do such a thing? ... WHY would they do it? ... that’s not the point ... the point is that SOMETHING has gone wrong ... life is no longer quite as lovely as it was just a few short minutes ago - and the maintenance technician now needs to troubleshoot the system ...

now to the point ... at the precise moment that the rung was deleted from the program, the input switch was ON - so the OTE was being executed with TRUE logic ... that means that on each scan of the rung, the OTE was “writing a ONE into the bit/box” ... but now that is no longer happening ... (but keep in mind that the contactor in the field was ON at the instant that the rung was deleted) ...

and so ... the question is: WHAT happens to the real honest-to-goodness contactor coil out in the field? ... IF (that’s a BIG “IF”) the OTE really and truly DID “act like a coil” what would it do? ... to most people’s way of thinking, the “coil” would de-energize and “drop out” ... specifically, most people would assume (gosh, I hate that word) that the “disconnected” - “deleted” - “unused” OTE “coil-thing” would automatically TURN OFF ... but it doesn’t ... the real coil in the field is going to stay ON (electrically energized) until SOMETHING “writes a ZERO into its bit/box” ...

and THIS is why I tend to quibble with your earlier statement ...

... then it's off the rest of the time.

my point is that the bit in the PLC is NOT really “off the rest of the time” ... specifically, to my way of thinking, that bit will still be ON years from now - unless and until SOMETHING tells it to turn OFF ... and (since our OTE has been deleted) WHO - or WHAT - is available to turn the bit OFF? ... in our simple one rung (well, actually NO rung) program, the answer is that NOTHING is available to make the bit turn OFF - and so it stays ON ... (and that’s my point) ...

to most people’s way of thinking, that “it just stays ON” idea seems to be “wrong” on some level or other ... seems like if nothing is telling the bit to be ON, then it ought to just politely “go off” ... at least it seems that way to most of the “experienced” guys in my classes ... actually the “green” guys usually have less trouble with the idea - because they have less to “unlearn” along the way ...

but the bit doesn’t automatically turn OFF ... and now we have to deal with the REALITY of how the PLC acts when the sun is NOT shining - when the birds are NOT singing - and when life is NOT as lovely as we’d like for it to be ... in other words, when the maintenance technicians have to do what they get paid to do ...

well, that’s as far as I’ve got time to type right now - but I’ve got LOTS more to say ... but the main idea behind all of this is that MOST instructors concentrate on how the PLC-controlled system “works” ... I’m weird ... I concentrate on what steps the technician needs to take when the PLC-controlled system does NOT work ... in order to nail down those steps in a SYSTEMATIC approach, my students need to understand EXACTLY what goes on under the hood of the PLC ... not just the common run-of-the-mill explanations such as “acts like a switch” - “acts like a coil” - “acts like a relay” - and all of the other analogies that have been passed around for years ...

now I’ll admit - freely - that those “simplifications” work well enough MOST of the time ... but what I’m talking about works EVERY single time ... and the amazing thing is that the “real stuff” explanations are actually easier to learn, easier to remember, and easier to apply than the “comes close enough” explanations that confuse a LOT of people when it comes time to troubleshoot a complicated problem ...

anyway ... (my wife just called me home to supper) ... PLEASE do not think that I’m arguing with you - or finding fault with what you’ve posted ... it’s just that I’m getting older (61 and counting) and it seems that revolutionizing the teaching of PLC skills is taking longer than I had planned ...

let me finish quickly with this line of reasoning that I always share with my students ...

suppose that the PLC-controlled system is broken down - and the plant maintenance technicians are unable to find the problem ... they’ve struggled in vain for hours - if not days ...

finally a “guru” is called in to help ... he goes online with the PLC and in MINUTES he has the problem pinpointed ...

now the question: what secret skills does the “guru” possess - skills that the technicians lack? ... what deeper understanding does he have? ... in many cases, the answer is that he simply looks at the operation of the PLC differently ... he doesn’t think in terms of “switches” and “coils” and other analogies along those lines ... instead he has learned what REALLY goes on under the hood as the PLC does its work ... and that knowledge isn’t a secret ... it’s just that most schools don’t even try to teach it at that level ...

supper time ... party on ...

Last edited:
"tone" adjustment ...

I’ve reread what I posted earlier ... I’m not changing anything - but the “tone” doesn’t sound exactly like I wanted it to ... so ... there’s just one thing that I’d like to quickly add ...

the classes that I’m talking about are specifically targeted to teach “troubleshooting skills” ... learning about how PLCs “work” is perfectly fine for programming, designing, etc. ... my usual audience is different - and requires a different set of skills ... I am NOT knocking every other PLC training company - or instructor - on the planet Earth ...

sorry if I somehow gave that impression ... that was not my intention ...

Ron, On the scan sequence quiz on your site, there is a OTL on rung 0002 but there is no OTU later in the sequence. If I understand the answers, they state that the bit/box will condtain a zero at the end of each scan...how is this the casae without unlatching the bit?

Greetings mdeltat ...

the answers state that the bit/box will contain a zero at the end of each scan ... how is this the case without unlatching the bit?

the answer to your latest question is adequately covered in the “Answer” file for the quiz ... I don’t want to answer it here on the open forum - because I don’t want to “spoil” the quiz for anyone else who might like to try it in the future ...

but ...

the real “deeper meaning” answer to your question is that you still (no offense) do not understand what the OTE, OTL, and OTU instructions actually DO as the processor scans them ... do not feel alone ... MANY people do not understand these issues - even though they prove to be quite simple once they have been properly explained ...

now then ...

I’ll be glad to help you understand exactly what’s going on for FREE - if you’ll just pick up the phone and give me a call ... you’ll find that I’m easy to talk to and that I can make this all very simple in just a few minutes ... print out Figure 5 from the Answer file - and have a pencil handy when you call ...

give me just ten minutes of your time - and I’ll change the way you look at ladder logic for the rest of your life ...

Thanks for all of the information and support. You've really caused me to look at OTE, OTL, and OTU instructions in a better defined way. These are the fundamentals of PLC and a strong understanding of them is important if we are to avoid rudimentary mistakes. I have reviewed the explanation on your site and belive that I finally grasp the ideas that you have outlined. Thank you for offering to coach me over the phone. You are a valuable contact and I'm sure we will talk in the near future. Thanks again.

Joe Abate
[email protected]

Greetings Joe ...

Thanks for all of the information and support.

you’re quite welcome ...

You've really caused me to look at OTE, OTL, and OTU instructions in a better defined way. These are the fundamentals of PLC and a strong understanding of them is important if we are to avoid rudimentary mistakes.

actually there are two separate items that go hand-in-hand ...

(1) how each of the individual instructions (XIC, XIO, OTE, OTL, OTU, etc.) affect the processor ...

(2) how the processor “scans” the program ... in other words, what happens first, what happens second, what happens third ...

once both of those two fundamental concepts are mastered, then the cloud of confusion lifts - and ladder logic can be analyzed with a simple 1-2-3 step process ... the “big picture” idea is to learn how to “think like the processor” ... while this might sound complicated, the actual “rules” take less than ten minutes to explain ... and then for most people (especially the more experienced ones) the hardest part is fully accepting that the method REALLY DOES WORK - and that it really works EVERY TIME - and that the whole thing is really THAT SIMPLE ...

I have reviewed the explanation on your site and believe that I finally grasp the ideas that you have outlined.

the word “believe” is an interesting one ... in the context in which you’ve used it, it could mean that you THINK that you’ve grasped my points - but that you’re not quite SURE that you have ... if that’s the situation, then you’re still welcome to give me a call - and be absolutely sure ...

Thank you for offering to coach me over the phone.

actually talking over the phone is a lot quicker and easier for me than typing away on the forum ... I can understand your reluctance to call someone you’ve only “met” on a public forum ... for all you know, I might be some type of nut determined to insult you - or something ... here is a link to a “reference” from someone that I’ve helped over the phone in the past ...

My primary reason for this latest reply is to thank Ron Beaufort. Ron took the time to call me and walk me through the PID setup when it was apparent to him that I needed more help than he could type. Ron helped me clearly understand what I needed to accomplish my task and never once made me feel stupid.

in short I enjoy helping people understand PLCs ... insulting people and making them feel stupid would be counterproductive ...

and if you’ve fully explored my website, you’ve probably noticed the “Offers for Instructors” page ... it’s amazing how many teachers are unintentionally making the subject of PLCs a lot harder to master than it needs to be ... I’ve helped quite a few in the past - and I’m willing to help others ...

You are a valuable contact and I'm sure we will talk in the near future. Thanks again.

the forum is here to help ... I’m happy if I’ve been able to play a part in that ... and thank you for accepting what I’ve been posting here in the spirit in which it was intended ... it’s extremely hard to tell people (in print) that what they “believe” is not completely correct - without sounding insulting ... I’m glad that you understood my intentions ...

Last edited:
RSLogix 500

Using RSLogix500 to program Micrologix 1000.

I'm having problems writing a program that uses 1-push button to turn on LED then push the same button to turn the LED off.

I can use a seal-in circuit or a latch to turn it on but cant figure out how to write the next rung to turn it off with the same button.

Ive heard to set a state variable to keep track of the LED state (ON |OFF)by simply toggling the variable from one state to the other each time the button is pressed and released. Have a rung simply turn the light on or off based on the state variable.

But Im not quite sure I understand how to set that up..

Any Suggestions?

Greetings TK33 and welcome to the forum.

You have posted your request in an old thread so it may not be seen by forum members and hopefully you'll be able to find it again yourself.

The Boolean formula for what you want to do is

LIGHT = LIGHT XOR BUTTON

The trick in a PLC is that since the EXCLUSIVE OR of the LIGHT and BUTTON could be performed dozens of times in the amount of time a human presses a button you have to write the program so that the logic executes just once each time the button is pressed.

Search the forum for the key words "flip flop" and you'll find that there are dozens and dozens of threads that show various simple ways to do this. You can find them using the forum search feature in the teal colored band near the top of your browser window near the right hand side.

Last edited:
Using RSLogix500 to program Micrologix 1000.

I'm having problems writing a program that uses 1-push button to turn on LED then push the same button to turn the LED off.

I can use a seal-in circuit or a latch to turn it on but cant figure out how to write the next rung to turn it off with the same button.

Ive heard to set a state variable to keep track of the LED state (ON |OFF)by simply toggling the variable from one state to the other each time the button is pressed and released. Have a rung simply turn the light on or off based on the state variable.

But Im not quite sure I understand how to set that up..

Any Suggestions?

Hi TK33,
In addition to the good advice given by Alaric, if you go into the Downloads section of this website, and open the Allen Bradley folder, you will find a host of posted examples. Of particular relevance to your question is a file called "ALTERNATOR METHODS" that was posted by a swell chap that goes by the name Lancie. In that file he offers several ways to "skin that cat".

Enjoy,
D

I am trying to work throgh the exercise that Ron put in #5 of this tread to better understand OTL and OTU. When I try to "now right-click the OTL and “toggle the bit” ... notice that the OTL turns green on the screen" I do not have the toggle option, could this be turned off or located somewhere else?
Joel

I am trying to work throgh the exercise that Ron put in #5 of this tread to better understand OTL and OTU. When I try to "now right-click the OTL and “toggle the bit” ... notice that the OTL turns green on the screen" I do not have the toggle option, could this be turned off or located somewhere else?
Joel

If in Logix5000:

Highlight the instruction of interest and then

CTRL-T

If in Logix500 or Logix5000

Right click on the instruction of interest

Toggle bit shows up at the bottom of the pop up list in Logix500 and near the center of the list in Logix5000.

I really hate it when people use the same addressed Output more then once in a program. Really makes it hard to troubleshoot in the middle of the night. Please do all you can to discourage this practice.

Chris- I couldnt agree more!
I personally prefer an input and output mapping routine in which i use all the real PLC inputs and outputs in one routine and use internal bits in the rest of the logic. It is simpler for me to understand and troubleshoot.

Ron,
Thanks for your wealth of knowledge, It's people like you that make this site such a valuable asset.
Thanks again
Kenny