RSLogix - Data File Statistics

arthur2

I have attached a print screen of the data file statistics from RSLogix 500. I selected a MicroLogix 1200 Series A. Can anyone tell me the reason why the number of Elements (Elems) in the I/O file type column's do not match the number of Words in the WORDS column? Given that MicroLogix and SLC-500 series controllers have one-word elements for both the input and output data file types, I have been unable to find the answer. I realize that some words may be reserved depending on the MicroLogix model or series, but even a SLC-500 system configured with one input or output card comes up with 3 words to 1 element. I sure would appreciate any help as my students would also benefit. arthur2

Just a guess but since it looks like the number of words is 3 times the number of elements that one set is for the state according to the program, one set is the force state and the last is the actual state (based on whether you are forcing the output or not).

I went back to RSLogix 500 to check out your theory and I believe you are almost 100% correct. I'm thinking that the final answer may be that each input or output element or word is made up of three words that you have indicated that include the: State or status of the actual "Data File" word (as you indicated), Force state of bits within the "FORCES" word (as you indicated), and which bits are being used in the program within another "Usage" word based on the layout and descriptions contained within the dialog boxes of RSLogix 500. Thanks again for your help!