rslogix5 crashing when going online

cblarsen

Ok i work a a plant with multiple pc workstations(32 bit windows 7 or xp pro) running rslogix5 v7.40.00. With 20 differant processors I just got through setting everything up with factory talk activation with a server cliant situation that all went smooth. Now all the workstations grab a the program from a server (same file for all) and they open up off line fine but sometimes when you go online it looks like it is about to connect then rslogix5.exe crashes and shuts down. The only way i have found to get around this is to open off line program>>export ASCII database>>>then go "online now" without documentation then re-import the database . then we are connected and i save back to original file on server and connects fine after that . Any ideas? Here is a instruction sheet i made to put on the workstation for our E&I techs to work around if they have the problem

genaric windows program crash AB techconnect said disable UAC but it is disabled already...

Source
RSLogix5 PLC5 Application
Summary
Stopped working
Date
?4/?23/?2012 8:24 AM
Status
Report sent
Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5 English\RSLGX5.exe
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RSLGX5.exe
Application Version: 7.40.0.15
Application Timestamp: 4a5edc05
Fault Module Name: RSLGX5.exe
Fault Module Version: 7.40.0.15
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5edc05
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00586813
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 724d
Additional Information 2: 724d562f710b0cc2b3a109e514362c57
Additional Information 3: ffb0
Additional Information 4: ffb00e631c406ea60ad9d697656467ec
Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1611607930

The "sometimes" part has me curious. Sometimes it is ok and sometimes it crashes? Does it crash only on Win7 or also on WinXP?

If you manually copy the project to your local hard drive and then open it and go online, does the crash still occur?

OG

So maybe not exactly the same, but very similar. We have 4 programming terminals on site 2 are still windows xp and 2 have been updated to windows 7 (one 32bit and one 64bit). The 64 bit Win7 is Factory talk activation and the 32 bit is Floppy disk Activation. The XP terminals work fine as all 15 PLCs can be opened and go online without a problem, the two Win7 machines work great with 11 but 4 of them Crash just as it is about to go online. If I go Online Now and import the database I am good until we close it again. For me it is consistently the same 4 PLCs. I tried with the file on the local computer and it still crashed.

So I have a temporary fix.
I have to run RSLogix5 in compatibility mode for Windows XP/SP3 & Turn off UAC to prevent popup every time.
This will work till Rockwell figures out what the Win 7 comparability problem is.

what i got from Ab is something corrupted in the database and if you do the ascii xeport and inport method it fixes it right up check the pdf file in original post.