S7-300 Communication with PC

andre.korbes

Hey guys, I´m starting development of a software (in C++) to communicate a PC with a Siemens S7-300 PLC. Basically my needs are to read inputs, read/write outputs and read/write values to memory, like bytes, words and dwords. Also, it is best to be done over ethernet using TCP/IP.

I´m not experienced on PLCs, but I´ve found out a few ways to do that and have some questions I hope you cand help me.

1) Is it possible to do it with Modbus TCP/IP? If so, where can I find useful documentation besides those that modbus.org charges for?

2) I´ve found in this same forum the library Libnodave. It seems very useful, though there is a big warning on its README file that states:

THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL CODE !!!!
DON'T CONNECT TO REAL MACHINERY !!!!
IF YOU CONNECT TO PLCs, EXPECT RANDOM PLC DATA, PROGRAM INCLUDED, TO BE
**** OVERWRITTEN ****

EXPECT OUPUTS TO !!! CHANGE RANDOMLY !!!

EXPECT PLCs TO !!! STOP !!!

EXPECT PLCs TO REQIRE !!! COMPLETE ERASE PROCEDURES !!!

My question is: anyone here already worked with libnodave, and could tell me if its reliable? I mean by not working randomly, setting values, outputs, etc.?

3) Is there any other way to do it using ethernet?

Thanks a lot
André