Saint Charles / DuPage County Illinois

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
Anybody working in the vicinity of the DuPage county airport? I start Monday 9/25/06 across the street and wondered if there was anyone else working out in the suburban boondocks. While I have been through the area off and on over the years, it is kind of like being at home, not much around. Any good restaurants nearby?

Alas, it isn't plc's, but at least it's electrical. Lights, switches, wires, motor starters.

And AutoCAD (yeh!), and Promise-E (BOOOOOOO!).

Reminds me of the guy who cleaned up after the elephants. When asked why he didn't quit,he replied "And leave Show Business".

Out where I live the are probably 10 people in three counties that know anything about plc's. Most places around here, electricians and maintenance supervisors can recognize plc's, but that is the extent of their knowledge. Ironic, mostelectrical engineering jobs in Peoria and Rockford that have been eliminate the last few years have had the programming and enginneeering functions taken over by the electricians.

I was offered a plant electrical engineering job local last year for $65,000 with $20K in bonuses. The offer was recinded the next day, and the following week reposted as an electrician, for $18 hour, 50% travel, with 12 hour rotating shifts. I am probaly never going to understand the new corporate work paradigm.

I work in Lisle, about 10 miles away but cannot help you with any information regarding restaurants and such. Like many of us, I think I have better knowledge about restaurants in the places I regularilly travel to than at home...

Good luck at your new job. Watch out for those FermiLab guys in the area - I heard rumors they glow in the dark :)

Best beer variety -- Hard Rock Brewery at I88 and Warrenville Road
Best big breakfast -- Omega Restaurant, on 59, north of I88
Best steak -- Sullivans in downtown Naperville
Best activity at DuPage Airport -- the annual WWII bombers visit

Holy **** Casey,

And I thought where I came from in Michigan was bad. What you ran into seems to be the norm lately, at least from my experience. The last place I was at was nickle/dime...ok, I thought I was worth more. So...when the new Maint/Eng/Tool Room manager came in he found that I was 2nd highest paid and lowest seniority. You can see where this is leading, can't you? He sure trimmed up the budget on that 'lay off'. Seems that a lot of us that think of ourselves as some sort of skilled trade get tossed into that Maint. Tech. catagory. Ah well, here I sit now in Sunny California. Best of luck buddy...keep us posted on how things work out. Btw, I now know some GREAT mexican places out this way if you ever get a chance to swing bye.

73s
Bob

Casey,

Which side of the airport are you on? You mentioned Saint Charles so I am guessing the West side. Probably in the industrial park. I grew up in Saint Charles and work in Geneva, which is the next town to the South. There are a few restaurants just North of the industrial park right on Route 64 that are worth a visit.

I am pretty sure it is the east side. The mapquest directions leave a lot to be desired, 'specially when you don't get the map with them. My guess is that it's 1/2 block east on Harvestor.

Was to sick to go in on Monday.

Tuesday is up in the air.

Should be an interesting week, to say the least.

But on the bright side, gas is down (I live 90 miles away).

Yeah Harvester is on the East side of the airport in West Chicago. I'm at 1200 East State Street(Route 38) in Geneva, which is probably less than 5 minutes from where you are at.

For directions try maps.google.com, always worked better for me.

St. Charles

St. Charles has a great little fall festival. I think it's called scarecrow fest or something? It's around Halloween time, we missed it this year. It's a great event to take the kids to. We're in Milwaukee, but have relatives around Elgin. We really like St. Charles...

Greg

It is called scarecrow fest, it's pretty good as long as the weather cooperates. It was really nice out during that week this year. Geneva has Festival of the vine a few weeks earlier which is pretty good too.

Hope you like corn

Casey,

You really are in the middle of nowhere! I have driven through that area several times...I think I-80 across Illinois is WORSE than taking the famouly boring trek across Nebraska!

What are you doing at Seimens? We are an AB plant, but just recently purchased a large filler with Siemens controls...It isn't as bad of a learning curve as I thought it was going to be on the PLC end.

Greg