Schneider TM241 AT commands via Ethernet

MathiasJ

Hi.
I am currently working in SoMachine with the TM241 Schneider PLC, I also have a modem from Wieland. Is it possible to send AT commands from the PLC via Ethernet to the modem so it will send out an SMS?
If so can you tell me or show me how?
I know its possible through Putty, where the PC is connected with the modem with Ethernet.
Thanks for your help.

I just took a quick look at the manual for the Wieland "modem" (actually a Router, not a modem).
https://eshop.wieland-electric.com/download/83.041.0040.1/IM0099901.PDF

Nowhere is mentioned anything about sending AT commands.

It seems that the Wieland Router is a rebranded Advantec Router.
In chapter 3.16.7 in the manual is described SMS sending via the router
http://support.elmark.com.pl/advantech/pdf/bb/UR5i-configuration-manual.pdf
Maybe it works with the Wieland router.

edit: Actually, on page 99 is described how to send SMS by AT commands.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Jesper.
I know how to send messages with AT commands, I did that with Putty software.
What I am missing out, is how to send these AT commands from the PLC via ethernet to the router. In SoMachine there is a FB called SEND_RECV_MSG that can send messages via ethernet port to the router, but nothing happens when I try to do it. So the question is more how to send these commands though Ethernet instead of serial communication.

I dont know SoMachine. I am guessing that in order to send AT commands the PLC must support sending low-level telegrams. If it only supports a canned type of messaging or protocol that is prorietary for Schneider then it is not possible.

Thank you so much for your time! Do you know if there are any Danish-speaking communities like this? Iam a student so currently iam trying to learn alot about this PLC world. :D

Hej Mathias.

I dont know of any danish-speaking communities for PLCs. The problem is two-fold.
1. Danish is too small a language region.
2. Danes are too good at speaking english.

If you know german better, then I recommend sps-forum.de
It is as good as this forum (sorry Phil !) and is not limited to Siemens only.

You should build sniffer cable and listen then PLC-modem communication with putty.
https://embeddedfreak.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/rs232-serial-sniffermonitoring-circuit/

Thinking that AT commands aren't issue, you should at least able to send at commands before to modem with PC, and then connect to PLC.
If you can't still send / receive anything then it is on PLC side configuration.
Then when you are sure that PLC communicate with modem you can start your init commands.

Modem init commands are usually only needed after you have restarted modem or there is sending error.