Siemens S7-226 PLC questions

Scott-bc

We are working on a project where we were able to get rid of an obsolte Festo PLC and replace it with a Siemens S7. Couple of qiestions:

1. We have a Redlion standard duty encoder that we want to wire into the S7. In the specs it says it can handle a high speed counter encoder input. Is this right?? The encoder will be used for position control. Based on the amount of counts it will tell us where our equipment is.

2. Because money is tight on this project we might not use an ethernet module(CP243-1IT) instead communicate PPI(RS485) between the PC running the WinCC flexible runtime and the S7 PLC. Cable distance is about 50 feet. If speed becomes an issue then we might need to use ethernet comms. Anybody have experience with this??

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

The high speed inputs will go up to 20kHz in two phase input mode, so as long as you are getting less than 20000 pulses per second from the encoder then you will be OK.

Don't have experience on the ethernet modules though you could probably cut the cost by not using the IT version.

Regards

Bryan