siemens Scale with Parameters?

irondesk40

just installed siemens step 7 software yesterday in order to try and learn for a future project.
Have some tank farms that I did that are in Dominican Republic and El Salvador, now we going to china, and they will only allow the use of siemens for infrastructure type controls. Only thing that i know at the moment is that it will be a s7-300 plc. I hope to be able to order one in the next few weeks and try and learn a little more.

I used a slc505 and a micrologix 1100 in DR and El Salvador and in the program I used the SCP instruction quite a bit to look at the input from pressure sensors mounted on bulk tanks to monitor the level, gallons etc., and it works very well.
Is the SCP type instruction also in Siemens?
Good thing is that I have a few more months to start learning the software before I have to actually fly to china.

Thanks

just installed siemens step 7 software yesterday in order to try and learn for a future project.
Have some tank farms that I did that are in Dominican Republic and El Salvador, now we going to china, and they will only allow the use of siemens for infrastructure type controls. Only thing that i know at the moment is that it will be a s7-300 plc. I hope to be able to order one in the next few weeks and try and learn a little more.

I used a slc505 and a micrologix 1100 in DR and El Salvador and in the program I used the SCP instruction quite a bit to look at the input from pressure sensors mounted on bulk tanks to monitor the level, gallons etc., and it works very well.
Is the SCP type instruction also in Siemens?
Good thing is that I have a few more months to start learning the software before I have to actually fly to china.

Thanks
Look into FC105 and FC106, Siemens plug in blocks.
Not exactly a direct SCP but you define your Engineering Units and Upper/Lower limits and does the job!

When you first work with Siemens, what a lot of people miss is the fact that there is collection of library blocks. So in a lot of cases, rather than there being an instruction there will be a standard block.

As well as scaling, you'll also find things as FIFO's, block moves etc

Hello Irondesk;
Just needed to point out that FC105 "SCALE" and FC106 "UNSCALE" are located in the TI-S7 conversion library, in case you needed to locate them.
The Onile Help (F1 key) is generally very good in Step 7, so use it as much as you can when you get in trouble.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hello Irondesk;
Just needed to point out that FC105 "SCALE" and FC106 "UNSCALE" are located in the TI-S7 conversion library, in case you needed to locate them.
The Onile Help (F1 key) is generally very good in Step 7, so use it as much as you can when you get in trouble.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier
Quick add-on.
Highlight the block and hit "F1" for help.
A lot of people can help here when it comes to Step7.

I tried using the scale functions in S7 when doing my last project.

I am not saying they don't work, but I wanted them to do some very specific things without allot of extra surrounding code.

So I came here and found out more about writing custom function blocks , which is something you should spend most of your time on.

Especially if you don't know exactly what you will be doing yet and have some time.

I wrote about ten different scale blocks and used 4 of them several times and saved myself allot of time and effort and I have a very easy to follow program.

Anything you plan to do more than twice, is a good candidate for a custom block. Once you have it there , you wiill probably use it more than you thought you would.

I have one subroutine with a series of scale blocks that condition all my analog inputs and outputs. The same program without custom function blocks would have been hundreds of lines of code and would be much more difficult to follow.

It is very clean and works great.

I can post a few examples if you like, nothing I did was impressive or complicated and I did everything in ladder.

Once you get past the data typing , and then learn about functions and function blocks, S7 is allot of fun.

Since you come from AB the data typing will be a challenge. Focus on that first. Then go from there.

Anything you need is here on this site, use search. Search for posts by me and you can follow along as I tripped through my S7 beginning.

I got allot of great help here. I suspect you will hit some of the same issues I did.

Last edited:
thanks
any examples would be greatly appreciated. Problem at the moment, which could be viewed as a good thing with the way the economy is, that have 7 active projects, 4 with ab micrologix 1100, two with ab slc 505 and now this siemens with a s7-300.
Trying to find time to study and learn all of them not easy to do sometimes, so always looking on this site for samples, suggestions, etc.. Have found they can be very helpful and help you see or realize something without having to spend hours reading or studying. Not saying that it is better than the reading and study time, but sometimes due to time constraints can help you realize you was looking at it wrong or help you come up with a idea or solution to what you may be dealing with a lot quicker.

Yesterday did meet with our local siemens rep and trying to schedule a week long training class on siemens s7 if we can work into our schedule.

One thing he suggested is that we try to find a book called automating S7 by a Hans Berger. He said that siemens use to include a copy of it with s7.
has anyone heard of this book or have a electronic copy or just suggest where you may be able to purchase it.

The rep said you use to be able to find it on ebay, but after a quick search did not find it.

thanks

That's the bible that is...

Seriously though, I don;t have a copy but have seen previous versions for S5, they are very informative and worth getting.

It may be the bible, but like the bible it's not easy reading! However, virtually all of the information you need is in there.

For somebody experienced coming from a different system to Step7, it should be very useful. For somebody straight out of college, about to start on their first PLC project, it's more likely to make them wonder if they should have chosen another profession!

Edit: actually there are two books, the one you want is probably "Automating with Step7 in STL and SCL", which is the one I've got and it's definitely worth the 70 or 80 Euros it cost.

The second book covers Function Block and Ladder and while I haven't seen it, I have difficulty imagining that it would be as useful as the STL book.

Last edited:
Yesterday did meet with our local siemens rep and trying to schedule a week long training class on siemens s7 if we can work into our schedule.

One thing he suggested is that we try to find a book called automating S7 by a Hans Berger. He said that siemens use to include a copy of it with s7.
has anyone heard of this book or have a electronic copy or just suggest where you may be able to purchase it.

The rep said you use to be able to find it on ebay, but after a quick search did not find it.

thanks
Actually it is "Automating with SIMATIC" by Hans Berger.
Got mine a while back from Amazon.
ISBN 3-89578-133-9
Publicis MCD Verlag

It may be the bible, but like the bible it's not easy reading!

Well, that's expected. After all it was written by same guy that was involved in developing Step7 platform, and we know how straight forward or user friendly that turned out...

"Step7 in 7 Steps" is also another book, just started reading it... looks good and I also need the basics

SCP 'Homemade' Function Block

To all,

I know I am replying to a rather old posting, but thought I would go ahead and post my reply here as something like this may still have an ongoing need.
I recently had need for an SCP type instruction in a new Siemens Step 7 project we are doing where we need to convert 4- 20mA signals from a variety of instruments to engineering units.

I have made a Function Block that works like an Allen Bradley SCP "Add-On-Instruction". I have attached a ".pdf" printout of it. I do not have access to a PLC right no to test it, so although it should work, please use at your own risk.

NOTE: This Function Block is actually a direct "translation" of an Allen-Bradley "Add-On Instruction" (AOI)that is available at the Rockwell Sample Logic page. See link, below:
http://samplecode.rockwellautomatio...ds_En&passedParameter=SCP&submitQueryForm=%BB