SINK vs SOURCE (SRC)

Does anyone can explain me whats the difference when wiring sink or src in a frquency drive?

Thanks,

jose.

If a VFD is wired for Sink, then the Inputs Common terminal is wired to -24VDC, and the Inputs are asserted with a +24VDC Signal. If the VFD is wired for Source, then the Inputs Common is wired to the +24VDC, and the Inputs are asserted by pulling them down with -24VDC. See Diagrams below.

Stu....

VFD Opto.jpg VFD Opto Wiring.jpg

Most drives I get have the switch over to the sink position. Being in the US though I wire source because my electricians like to trouble shoot with a meter reading a positive voltage.

To be honest - it really doesn't matter whether the inputs are configured as SRC or SINK, if all you're connecting is pushbuttons and swithes.

When it really does matter - if the inputs are gonna be driven by another device, eg a PLC.

The vast majority of applications will use SINKing inputs. You will apply a positive voltage to the input, and the drive will SINK that to 0V, and make the input true.

SOURCING inputs will already have positive voltage on them, which the external device will SINK (i.e. connect) to 0V.

In a nutshell - Sourcing = Give, Sinking = Take