SLC 5/03 to Modem to 1761-net-eni

rdj59

I've been racking my brain and trying everything that i could think of but now i think i might be doing the imposible. lol What I'm attempting to do is go from an SLC 5/03 thru phoenix contact 2708203 data fax modems then from the 232 port to a 1761-net-eni. On my test bench i have no problems connecting to a slc 5/03 thru the eni module. I also have no problems connecting to the station via the modem from the plant. When i connect up the eni module to the modem and go thru rslinx all i recognize is the eni module itself and it says its idle. I have the plc at the station setup the same way that worked on my test bench. I am wondering if there is some small setting or something that I'm missing. My grand plan is to get off the messed up dh485 network at the plant and convert the 13 stations to go to ethernet, then to talk to a control logix processor and message from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeramie

Bit of an assumption here but I’m guessing you are using the PM02 cable to go from the NET-ENI module to the modem. If so you need to put a null adapter between. The PM02 cable (at the DB9 port side) is a DCE (Data Communications Equipment) port as is the modems port. DCE to DCE needs to have the transmit and receive lines crossed. The cable between the channel 0 port on the SLC and the modem should be a straight through cable as the channel 0 port is a DTE port (Data Terminal Equipment) which will connect directly to a DCE port (on the modem).

Thank you very much for the response. You are correct with that i am using a PM02 cable. When i come back to work on monday i will give that a try. That makes perfect sense to me. Hard to communicate when you have a send going to a send.

Thanks,
Jeramie

Just wanted to give an update. First tried a null modem and that didn't work at all so I made my own crossover cable where everything was straight thru except pins 2 & 3 were swapped. Worked like a champ 2 seconds later. I just want to say thank you very much. I learned something new that will be stored in the memory bank!

Thanks,
Jeramie