slc 5/05 enet/serial comm

keving9

I used a laptop with ethernet to program a SLC 5/05. In the field is an older desktop with no enet and I am using the serial port for hmi. The laptop would usually be used to make programming modifications. But in the case of the laptop not being available am I able to load Rslogix on the desktop and set it up to communicate through the serial port and at a later time use the laptop to communicate throught the ethernet port without changing the communication parameters each time I switch between the two?

Thanks

Me thinks you can mate!

I am not an expert in the ENET area but if you configure RSLinx for both the ENET driver and the DF1 serial RS-232 driver, you will be able to connect to the 5/05 with either of those comm links, just depends on which port you choose and Linx should do the rest. Others here will doubtless have more experience with the ENET comms so you should get some good replies and certainly better than mine.

RSLinx can connect to the 5/05 through either the RS232 port or the Ethernet port. Once you get a connection established, you shouldn't have to change anything. Of course, with ethernet there is always the possibility that you're going to subnet or VLAN your connection out of existence or something as soon as something on the network changes. Tell your IT department to mind their business!

You will still have to change paths in RSLogix, though. There's really no getting around it.

AK