Slc 5/05

PLC Pie Guy

Hello All.
I have a quick question regarding revisions of processors.
I have two types of 5/05 and I am wondering if these two are interchangeable. Basically I am wondering if I should stock both or just the later of the two. they are:
-1747-L551 B/C 5/05 CPU 16K-Mem. OS501, Ser. C, FRN.3-9.
-1747-L551 C 5/05 CPU 16K-Mem. OS501, Ser. C, FRN.10 and later.

Thanks guys.

The FRN 9 did some serial comms for my apps differently than the FRN 10's. I was doing work with an old serial device and never did get it to work wiht the 10 version. I contacted the serial device manufacturer and was told they were aware of the issue. They were available to fix the issue for a tidy $um.
I finally installed a ProSoft for MODBUS comms and did my calcs with the FRN 10 version. All is still good as far as I know.
Just a gotcha to be aware of. Other apps that didn't require the serial I haven't seen any issues.

I would stock the later device only.

The SLC-5/05 'Series C' hardware has a 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet port, with different hardware from the older 10-Mb-only controllers.

With very rare exceptions like the Modbus issue cited by a062549, a new SLC is going to run all the functions of the older models identically, and has the advantage of newer hardware and additional features.