Stratix 5700 - Cross VLAN Routing

DJShardy

Hi All,

Have a question about setting up routing across VLANS.

I have attached a picture of the layout and will try describe best I can.
https://ibb.co/s6vFskv

Would like to have VLAN30 be able to access VLAN10 and VLAN20. BUT VLAN 10 & 20 not have any access to each other.
This is the guide I was following:

The only difference is that I am also having a connection to another switch via a Trunk line.

Getting this error when trying to enable routing.(See Below)
https://ibb.co/Sf3XmQ4

VLAN settings on JM MS 02
https://ibb.co/tHyswBx
In SDM-Template I have selected "Lanbase routing"

I have both switches setup with the same VLAN settings.

Is there anything I am missing here?

I have only used the command line for configuring inter-VLAN routing so I'm not exactly sure how to set it up from the web interface. However, I have a few maybe helpful comments.

Are you saying that you have both switches configured exactly like your VLAN screenshot? You only want one of your two switches to be the router. If you have both switches set up with the same IP addresses for each VLAN then you have an IP address conflict. As a side note, the fact that a particular VLAN is configured on a switch doesn't mean that switch needs to have a IP address assigned for that VLAN. Generally, you would only assign addresses to VLANs if the switch management interface needs to be reachable from that VLAN or if the switch is acting as a router to route traffic to/from that VLAN.

The IP addresses of the switch that is your router should be the gateway addresses for your devices on each VLAN. For example, based on your screenshots, PLC-1 on VLAN 20 should have 172.029.118.65 as it's gateway address (you didn't say if you already have this).

I don't know if it is possible to block communications between VLANS 10 and 20 from the web interface. That is something that you would probably use Access Control Lists for and I don't think you can do that from the web interface.

I had this same problem when i done this trial. In order for this to work ( or so you can see it) disable your ethernet port that is connected to the internet. Windows automatically tries to route traffic through that port.

If you disable the port and then configure your switch, you will be able to set up your VLANs and route like you want.

Also, if you are using FactoryTalk Linx as your communications software, you can't use a Broadcast driver, must be in range mode, then add the IPs you want to look at.

I did this same tutorial a few years ago and almost never got it to work. After doing the following, i was cross talking Vlans with no issues.

Hope this helps, and i can give more details if it still hangs up.

Hey - When the forum upgraded I couldn't log in and I don't know what e-mail I used so here I am with a new account.

Anyway Here is a link with some more information and diagrams of what I am trying to achieve

It boils down to:
The Engineering VLAN to have access to all of the different parts of the factory but I don't want part 1 of the factory to have comms with part 2. We have a lot of stuff connected already on a big flat network so i am surprised we dont have comms issues.

I assume that having them on different VLANS would Isolate them from each other? Like I cant just add an IP address in VLAN10s range while plugged into a port assigned for VLAN20. - Right?

The engineering VLAN is plugged into JM MS 02 which is then in turn connected to another 2 Stratix switches via a trunk
Do I need routing on all 3 or just the 1. I am aware thee questions are basic - I am trying to pick up networking.

@JCreel I tired this and still had the issues!

Cheers