Studio 5000 suddenly asking to log on factory talk network

ecad575

Hello,

How can I set Studio 5000 to use licenses from Local Folder, not network folder?

I'm using Studio 5000 30.00. Computer has all licenses in local directory, computer not connected to internet.

After installing an add-on profile, suddenly Studio 5000 is asking to log on Factory Talk - Network. Network is not configured / I have no details for network.

For those hesitant to click an external link...

The fix for this is typically to run the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard. When it opens, I always select the Network option along with "Local" which is selected by default.

When prompted, enter your Windows username and password. You must have admin privileges. You will be prompted to enter your credentials once for the Network directory and again for the Local directory.

Unlike the scenario the OP mentions, this usually occurs when a computer has been renamed. The FTD must be updated to reflect the new name. The wizard updates this info.

OG

And if you have no password on your account on the PC you're using, you will have to add one to make FTD happy. You can remove it later if you are the type of person who doesn't lock his phone, his house and leaves the keys in the ignition. I know some people like that 'roun these parts. :whistle:

This also happens if you are using Remote Desktop into the PC with Factory Talk. Seems like I need to let the PC and Rockwell software startup on the remote PC before connecting to it.

This also happens if you are using Remote Desktop into the PC with Factory Talk. Seems like I need to let the PC and Rockwell software startup on the remote PC before connecting to it.

To fix that issue, you open FactoryTalk Administration Console and go to Policies->System Policies->Security Policy and change "Identify Terminal server clients using the the name of" and change it to "Server Computer". It will then use the host machines FT credentials instead of the remote PCs.

...You can remove it later if you are the type of person who doesn't lock his phone, his house and leaves the keys in the ignition. I know some people like that 'roun these parts. :whistle:

If you leave the keys in the ignition, you always know where they are.
I remember when my sister and family moved to the country they always left the keys in the cars. I think that's awesome.

And if you have no password on your account on the PC you're using, you will have to add one to make FTD happy. You can remove it later if you are the type of person who doesn't lock his phone, his house and leaves the keys in the ignition. I know some people like that 'roun these parts. :whistle:

Good point. Using the Local directory doesn't require a user password but the Network directory does.

OG

If you leave the keys in the ignition, you always know where they are.
I remember when my sister and family moved to the country they always left the keys in the cars. I think that's awesome.

Plus, if you leave the keys in the ignition you can't use them to unlock the house anyway, so it better be unlocked.

With my dog I could and no one would enter (and leave in one piece)