Symbol for 4-position selector switch

I've never seen any "rules" explicitly laid out as nonuke is suggesting. If there were, it would've saved a lot of time on projects I've worked on where we used other company's schematics.

The standard ACADE symbols show the contacts in their NO or NC position for multi-position switches, regardless of the reality that a selector switch must be on one of the contacts. SolidWorks Electrical also does the same. I don't know about EPlan, never used it, but SolidWorks Electrical looks very similar to EPlan, so I'd assume they do the same.

EDIT: Just saw your most recent post. The solid line indicating it is on the first contact is clear. I wouldn't have any issues if I were troubleshooting a switch with that symbol. Good work!

Last edited:
The CAD electrical programs I have used developed their symbols based on their own convenience for programming, copying, and inserting, not necessarily closely following national or international electrical drawing standards.

Electrical Multi-point Selector Switch Standard Drawing.jpg

Last edited:
One way

Any way you choose draw it i OK as long as it conveys the info clearly to the drawing user. I always suggest a legend sheet to clarify your particular symbol usage.

IEC symbols are different than USA / JIC symbols.

NO and NC should refer to the state of the contacts with the device unpowered and in its normal position. Of course there are NO and NC contacts - a SPDT contact is one example of this.

Attached is how I do it. It has many advantages.

The X's and O's for contact status identify that there are four positions, and show the status in each. This corresponds to the way many switch catalogs show contact operation.

The numbers in the polygon show other rungs where the switch contacts occur. It isn't always convenient to show them all together, and not all contacts always switch the same voltage.

The tag number (HS-4 for example) can cross reference to a BOM or a PID.

4 POS SW.jpg

When I drew this up on the computer it just didn't turn out as good as the picture in my head. So I decided to go with a simple version of the "truth table" method as Tom and Jesper suggested. I think it's a little clearer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

4pos-old.jpg 4pos-new.jpg