UL508A - Can a shop that did not build a panel, inspect and label/certify it as 508A?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are considering dropping our UL membership because most of our customers do not care if we are a 508A shop. However, there may be times when a customer does want their panels labeled/certified. So, I was wondering if there was anything wrong with paying another 508A shop to inspect and certify our panels on a case-by-case basis.

I have been told no, that it must be built by the UL508A panel shop. I currently outsource my UL panels build and certification due to this.

Unless the rules have changed, you can use an outside company to UL label your panel. They likely have to do it in your shop before you ship the panel.

This is an interresting subject as we regularly ship machinery from UK to US. We can build to UL standards but if certification is required then we sub out the panel build.

So, an external company can certify your panel but will they? In the UK notifiable domestic electrical installations have to be tested and verified by a suitably competant/qualified person. You can rewire your own house but actually finding someone to certify work that they didn't do is a bit more difficult.

I have been told no, that it must be built by the UL508A panel shop. I currently outsource my UL panels build and certification due to this.
hmmm. What is the definition of "Built" lol.

What if I ship them the panel, they land the last wire, inspect it, slap a label on it, and ship it back? šŸ˜

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

To be fair that does make sense as far as revenue generating. They make more money if more shops pay the yearly dues, but it has nothing to do with safety or compliance.

I'm with rupej, I recall speaking with UL a few years ago and I think they gave me a price to come out and certify a panel, Since we are not certified and aren't going to be.
So if this is the case, just charge that fee on top of your build price whenever the customer requires UL. I think it was a couple thousand bucks. Cert, travel, etc.

My UL inspector said he "has to go onsite to do the inspection & verifications" if the panels are not built in my shop. He and I both think it's a stupid rule. If I design them and build them at my physical shop why not at the customers location. I can only label panels that are physically built in my shop. They dont care about the design, only the physical build location.

When we moved shop locations it was a huge deal for UL to understand that we just moved. It wasn't a second building it was relocation of the original.