VMWare help

PLC Pie Guy

Hello all. I have another question coming from VMWare if anybody cares to take a moment. I created a VM using converter from my host machine, WIN7 PRO 64 bit. VM works fine but it is asking me to defrag the drive. So I shut down the VM and go to the VM settings for this particular VM in my workstation environment. I select the hard disk to be defrag but as soon as it starts it comes back with an error message from workstation thet "Deframentation failed: Not enough space on the file system for the selected operation." Now I am left wondering what this message means. I have 2 GB of memory selected for this VM. I have tried selecting up to 8 GB but I get the same error. For my Capacity I have current size = 4.7GB, System Free = 10.2 GB, Max size = 66.8 GB. Disk information says "Disk space is not preallocated for this hard disk. And Hard disk contents are stored in a single file". I am trying to defrag in this manner because it is what VMWare recommended me to do. Should I be trying to defrag the VM from inside the VM like you would normally defrag a drive? Or is doing it from the settings/utilities the right way to do it but with the VM running? I have used VMWare a bit but not enough to know what to do in some cases like this. Any advice will be gladly appreciated.
Thanks

If this is your active partition you could try to ad it to other VM.
IF you do not have other VM, just clone this (remember that you have to make a full clone).
1. in VM settings of VM2 click "ADD", - Hard Disks - Click "Use an existing HDD" and browse to the .vmdk file of your VM1
2. After you added the HDD to VM2, run VM2 and defragment the HDD in it.
3. After defragmenting you could run VM1 with the defragmented disk and it should be ok.
4. Cheers

Remember to make a copy of the VM if there is significant information on it.

EDIT::::::::::::::::::
This is also the only way I know that you can extend the size of your active partition in VM. Sometimes it is helpful

Last edited:
There is no need to defrag a VM. It does nothing as it's not a hard drive it's software.

You should have done a defrag on the physical machine before you converted it.

It sould like you did not setup your storage allocations correctly when you did the original conversion. Also you will want a thin provisioned disk and it sould like it may be set to thick provision.