VNC Service Question

HunterM93

Is there a VNC type service that could be used to go through a plc network to remote into a PC?

Basically:
- From programming Computer connected to slot 8 1756-EN2T
-> Out slot 9 1756-EN2T to plant network hub
-> From plant network hub to Slot 8 1756-EN2T on a machine PLC
-> Out slot 9 1756-EN2T on machine plc's local network
-> Into a Windows 11 PC running FactoryTalk View ME Station.

A slightly shorter version of this would be:
- From programming Computer connected to factory machine network wifi.
-> To Slot 8 1756-EN2T on a machine PLC
-> Out slot 9 1756-EN2T on machine plc's local network
-> Into a window11 PC running FactoryTalk View ME Station.

All this is using AllenBradley PLC's.

Currently the way we do this is by hardwiring into the machine PLC local network @ the machine and run TightVNC to control the PC.

Eventually this system will be transitioning to a ThinClient but that isnt soon enough.

That's a great question !

ControlLogix backplanes do not route or manage non-CIP protocols, specifically to prevent and prohibit this sort of PC-based access via automation networks.

You could go online with a ControlLogix through the routes you describe, but not run VNC or HTTP or FTP or RDP or any other general purpose computer protocol.

If you need networks to connect together for non-CIP purposes, you need a router, NAT, VLANs, or other ordinary IP networking device.