Voltage/Current regulation with PWM

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

We have been asked/given a brief spec to do some voltage/current control with PWM from a PLC.

From what I can interpret, they have a supply source that has a varying voltage/frequency, and want to regulate this to our local voltage/frequency.

I have done a bit of PWM for servo controls, but never anything like this. Typically, with the servo systems I have done, it is distance & speed settings only, not a continuous system like this needs to be.
They are asking for a 2mS period on the PWM, I am pretty sure this is achievable, changing on the fly etc will be what I will need to confirm the response.

Can/should this be done in a PLC? My initial thoughts are no, as there may be devices out there that can already do this. I think that they are wanting the option to be able to manipulate the input ranges relatively easily, hence the PLC option.

I am going to try and compile a list of questions to get some more information from them, type of frequency measuring device etc, but thought I would ask here first as well, as there is always a wealth of information available.