what plc is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best plc? Um, any plc that does what is it supposed to do, is good enough. As for programming software, I'd take RsLogix over any other. The worst programming software? For me, hands down, is Telemechanique PL7. Yes, you can program using ST, Grafcet, and ladder in one package, but it is so cumbersome it's barely functional.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Hardware is hardware is hardware...

But, -removed by Phil-!

Last edited by a moderator:
>>"Jonny's" quote removed by Phil- No offense Tim!!!<<

Obviously, Johnny hasn't been doing this very long, or he'd realize this statement is a mind-numbingly broad generalization.

Hardware is most certainly NOT hardware. I've used bricks, boards and blocks (sound like a carpenter instead of an electrician!) from a host of manufacturers, and each has it's advantages and disadvantages, including configuration, addressing and expandability. I've even used Nais processors, where the expansion units are so tiny, you need a separate break-out block to wire into! Where's the space savings in THAT?!

Secondly, if you've used any number of plc softs and RSLogix, you swiftly realize that RSLogix at least holds it's own in the usability department. Certainly, there are vastly worse programs, and if there are better, I've not seen them yet.

Johnny, if yer gonna drop flame-bait like that, ya better be prepared to back it up somehow.

TM

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sooooo glad that I have stayed out of this one, so far. I have purposely avoided reading this thread until today. I have no opinion about the best or the easiest or the cheapest or any of that (as far as you know, but as some of you well know, I do have a favorite). But if the darned thing does the job and you can get it to do that job, it must be a good enough PLC, and you must be pretty good at programming it. Heck, if I can program one, it must be easy. The only way to know for sure is to research the capabilities of any given controller and then PLAY WITH IT--HAVE FUN!

I wouldnt worry about what Johnny says, its just another realdeal, maybe in person. Note the NOT registered part. They do this from time to time just to start the insults and see the tangents (the not so good ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.