What will your customers think of the Ultimate HMI design layout?

Those are web launched screens developed in Ignition.

Most of the icons are built in. He used a lot of basic shapes with color gradients. He must have created those 3D image shots.

I think it's very well done. I'm sure he could have made nice looking screens with any package. A lot was built from the combination of images, text, basic shapes and color gradients.

what software was that developed in?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am sure I will be corrected but it looks like Windows - Citect or similar.
Like to know howmany hours this took?

I'm posting on behalf of the user that created those screens. His name is Antonio and he's going to create a PLCTalk forum account. He created the screens, images, and everything with Ubuntu Linux. The application is Ignition. He estimates that learning the product from scratch and implementing the project took 2 months now. In my opinion, he's probably a quick study and will prove to be a talented engineer.

I developed in linux Ubuntu. I used Gimp and Inkscape for the icons and pictures (PNG without background) and Sweet Home 3D for made the 3D views
Hi Nathan!!

Of course i don't mind. But it's really dificult to answer that. First coz It's the first SCADA that I developed in my life. (i just finish the university a few moths before and just with a little knowledge about WinCC, LabView and CX-Supervisor)
Second that while i was developing I was learning how to used Ignition Gateway. Third coz I'm the only one worker in the company (it's very little company, me and two boss xD), and I have others things to do like programming the PLC, traveling comercial, commissioning, budgeting, searching sensors, ... It totally disturbed my job in the SCADA
I tried to count the time that i spent just in the SCADA and i think it was around two months with the learning period inside.
But I'm sure that a person with more experience an knowledge can make in less of one month.
I followed three rules that one very good teacher taught me once:

- Develop thinking from the skin of the future person that is gonna used it (it not the same if it be gonna used by a engineer than for one operator)
- The most important things that you wanna show in the SCADA, should be observe and knowledge in less look of a second. (for the sample change the color with the temperature or changing the icon).
- No make screens full of number, boxes, ... First show the main things and give the chance to see more with a little window, text when mouse over, ... More dynamic and simple appearance means less boring and easier for the users.
I am sure I will be corrected but it looks like Windows - Citect or similar.
Like to know howmany hours this took?

Last edited:
what are peoples views on the colour of the start and stop button's, mainly aimed at the people who go for grey for stopped and green for running as a status indicator, would you also have the stop button in grey and the start in green, which is what i have seen and i have used before on one HMI but my gripe with that is that the stop button should be bright and in your face so if you need to use it then it jumps out at you

Maybe I need a career change but I will always and forever color all of my stop buttons red. HMI and real buttons alike. I will make them bright red and no other color no matter whose rules I am required to follow. I might make them darker red when depressed, and I might change up the text, but they will be red.

cant read spanish but take another look! It seems his e-stop is red and his stop buttons.
I think the orange hand is a caution about changing setpoints. but it's way to BRIGHT for me

Last edited:
cant read spanish but take another look! It seems his e-stop is red and his stop buttons.
I think the orange hand is a caution about changing setpoints. but it's way to BRIGHT for me
Careful there, that pale orange-ish thing with the hand print on it on that HMI screen? Why that's not possibly anything more than a system stop, not an e-stop Have they dun' figgered out how to wire a cell on a touchscreen to a safety relay already?

Dang im gittin too ole for this chiid.

My opinion on the colorful screenshots above?

Too many colors and gradients for an industrial plant like mine for my tastes, but the graphics might serve well for that agricultural application...I need distinction among machines, not emulation of a field of crops...It is very organized and beautiful.

ok the text below the orange helping hand reads "Habilitar sistema" google translate reads somthing like this (habilitar restaurar sistema)
how to enable system restore?
don,t know could be e-stop or restart maybe. the screen above shows a red button with the text e-stop inside it
wow I just noticed my post is as hard to read as this screen LOL

... the screen above shows a red button with the text e-stop inside it

Wow, that's bad...really bad...I didn't see that before...its supposed to the be e-stop and I didn't notice it amongst all the bushes the middle of a the two screenshots.

At least it's the only color on the pop-up, but he should really change the name and warning so as not to fool anyone into believe that it is where to run and press when some person is in danger...

A very forgevable mistake for someone who didn't crawl into PLC world from the relays through red wires controlling dangerous heavy machinery for years like many of us.

Yes, I would label it "SYTEM SHUTDOWN" and you can even have a pop-up that indicates that it indeed causes a safety PLC to open a relay, or whatever level of accurate information applies to what happens when it works...but don't get sued for an electrocution, or amputation, because you claimed it as and EMERGENCY STOP. If these are guarded fans and a few pumps and the worst thing that can happen is a ruined product then yeah, proclaiming the e-stop may be...craap, its still a terrible idea...and totally unnecessary. E-Stop on an HMI should only been seen as a status on an alarm list or as an indicator, not a fargin' big button People!

The Estop is a sacred God in industrial control reserved for a real button with real simple fall-off failsafe normally closed contacts with a mushroom headed maintained operator that is RED, with legend plate in YELLOW declaring itself the one and only GOD of the term E-STOP, and all other imitators of such god shall be stricken from existence if you are smart...in my humble okie opinion.

This Push Button, with a wires running through its contacts such that when pressed, a mechanical devices stops all dangerous motion and electrical energy from motors....This can't happen when the screen freezes, or the ethernet cable falls out...

I'm sorry for ranting, i had a chityy day at work....time for that Seagrams 7 and Diet Dr. Pepper and some local football news.

G'nite

Last edited:
This has definitely been an example of a screen that is eye-candy. But for operations, it is not quickly identifiable what is occuring with the system.

Any abnormal condition should draw attention. In this case, how can it? It's hidden in the eye candy.

And as pointed out, a fundamental error is that a HMI can never have a E-Stop (by definition). It can only have a Process Stop.

This has been a perfect example of why the High Performance HMI initiative has been presented.

But for eye candy, he did a good job.

Wow, that's bad...really bad...I didn't see that before...its supposed to the be e-stop and I didn't notice it amongst all the bushes the middle of a the two screenshots.

At least it's the only color on the pop-up, but he should really change the name and warning so as not to fool anyone into believe that it is where to run and press when some person is in danger...

A very forgevable mistake for someone who didn't crawl into PLC world from the relays through red wires controlling dangerous heavy machinery for years like many of us.

Yes, I would label it "SYTEM SHUTDOWN" and you can even have a pop-up that indicates that it indeed causes a safety PLC to open a relay, or whatever level of accurate information applies to what happens when it works...but don't get sued for an electrocution, or amputation, because you claimed it as and EMERGENCY STOP. If these are guarded fans and a few pumps and the worst thing that can happen is a ruined product then yeah, proclaiming the e-stop may be...craap, its still a terrible idea...and totally unnecessary. E-Stop on an HMI should only been seen as a status on an alarm list or as an indicator, not a fargin' big button People!

The Estop is a sacred God in industrial control reserved for a real button with real simple fall-off failsafe normally closed contacts with a mushroom headed maintained operator that is RED, with legend plate in YELLOW declaring itself the one and only GOD of the term E-STOP, and all other imitators of such god shall be stricken from existence if you are smart...in my humble okie opinion.

This Push Button, with a wires running through its contacts such that when pressed, a mechanical devices stops all dangerous motion and electrical energy from motors....This can't happen when the screen freezes, or the ethernet cable falls out...

I'm sorry for ranting, i had a chityy day at work....time for that Seagrams 7 and Diet Dr. Pepper and some local football news.

G'nite

"Parada de emergencia" from what I understand simply mean "Emergency Stop Healtly". I believe it is only a status indicator as to the state of the estops and not meant to be an estop.