Zebra GK420d Printer help.

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
New project in, using the above connected to an Siemens 1215 CPU via RS232, thats the easy bit.

I have designed my labels in Zebra Designer with 6 fields set as Variable Keyboard Input.

I can call my and print my .zpl file from the printer memory via sending a command from the PLC, but where do I put the values for the 6 variable fields?

I've tried FN1 to FN20 with no luck, there just doesn't seem to be any info in designer to what they actually are.

I've created the label using an online .zpl designer and it works perfectly, but that is a lot of text to send from the PLC when you can just call the label and insert your field numbers.

Help is appreciated, unless I am completely mis-understanding how this works.

I’ve never heard of doing it that way
I’ve only done it with the characters.. carriage returns etc in ascii in data blocks
Let’s see what other responses get posted here

See attached files

I am using FN11 and FN12 in my project. I do not use ZPL language, instead I write to the parser inside my printer.
My printer has an Ethernet port modified to be EIP compatible, I use only Allen Bradley Plcs. My printer is a ZT410.

fn12.PNG FN11.PNG

My approach is to simplify first. First create a simple 'Hello' program and see if you can print .
Next add one variable and see if you can print.
You will need to send 1st program with variable down for storing first, then send the second program shorter later when you need it to print.

So after having a good nights sleep, the solution came to me. Posted below to help others if they are in a similar position.

Using Zerba Designer was the red herring.

I designed the label with an online ZPL emulator, copied that into Zebra Utilities and added ^DFE:MyFile.ZPL after the first ^XA

This saved the label to the printer, then used ^XFE:MyFile.ZPL then declared my ^FN values, worked a treat and seriously cuts down on ASCII code sent to the printer.

Quite often you solve things in hotels bars, reading in bed or watching TV. Sometimes sitting in front of a screen you can't see the wood for the trees.