Zombie Box

Casket Knocker Program for Micrologix1000 PLC

Just in time for Halloween, here is a version of the Casket Knocker program for the Allen Bradley Micrologix1000 PLC.

Last edited:
Thank you so much,this is great, the clock is against me to have thing ready for tonight. Found a brake-solenoid from a 1 ton Yale 120vac chain hoist.Mounted the solenoid in the inside a 18 x 18 box with a lid with a spring keeping it open, once the solenoid is energized it pulls the lid in against the spring making the pounding noise...pretty slick, thanks again.

Got to get a device that takes video, (old school) I own a flip phone with no video, I'm going to have to wait until one of the kids comes by with their smart phone. Will keep you posted....

Update, finally got the program "casket knocker" loaded on my Micrologix 1K ,(from about 3 weeks ago) and it works really good. I tested it using a small contactor, now I'll try it on a wooden box that I built that has a solenoid hooked to the lid "like something that is trying" to close the lid! I would like to thank Lancie1 for great programming.It will be great for next year.

Thanks for your kind words. It inspires me to keep plugging on.

You may need to adjust your Min and Max for the random number generator, depending on the speed of the knocker solenoid device that you use. You can change the Maximum timer ranges by adjusting the Mask (now 150 x 0.01 seconds), and the Minimun time by changing the LES Less than or Equal Source B from "50" (for 50 x 0.01 seconds) to a smaller or larger number.

If you need the timer ranges to be independent and more random, then you could set up 3 different random number generators, one for each timer.

Last edited:
No, not yet still in progress…first I got to figure out how to post it on the internet, and even make some suggested alterations.
Thanks for your kind words. It inspires me to keep plugging on.
I have used it for teaching a PLC course. It is as good as any textbook, gets updated periodically (make sure you get the latest edition - 4th), and still has some examples from older PLCs such as the PLC5 that you may need to know at some point. There is an "Activities Manual for Programmable Logic Controllers" by the same author and publisher (McGraw-Hill) that has many more programming assignments for each chapter in the textbook.

And BTW I took your suggestion and I did get Frank Petruzella’s exercise and textbook on PLC,( it’s coming with me to Mexico for the Thanksgiving holiday . going to start the book soon maybe after a way to post the video of my knocking box.

And BTW I took your suggestion and I did get Frank Petruzella’s exercise and textbook on PLC,...
If you get stuck, I have worked out many of the problems and written in the answers in my book, at least for the 3rd edition. I imagine some of the problems are still the same or similar.

I got the 4th edition (latest edition).There is on-line Instructor's Resource Center that contains the answers to all Activities Manual test questions. Here is the link http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073510882/information_center_view0/supplements.html
You mentioned in a previous posting that you taught from this book (3rd edition)obviously because of your intense knowledge don’t need no stinking answer book! :geek:
But I do… I do not want to be a burden on asking if a got the right answer, and did you see this book... there's a lot! o_O
So, how do I convince the McGraw people that I am doing my own thing with the help of this forum, and would like the answers, please?

Sorry, I can't help you get the answers from McGraw. I think you have to be a current course instructor (which I am not). Many of the questions will be easy, and the hard ones can often have more than one correct answer, because many require a program solution, and as you know there are many different ways to write a program to do the same job. I found only a very few philosphy-type qustions that could not be answered by reading the material in the book.

Here is an example, the very first question at the end of Chapter 1:
"Define programmable logic controller."
If you starting reading Chapter 1, the first 3 paragraphs tells you what a PLC is - a specialized computer consisting of an assembly of solid-state digital logic elements designed to make logical decisions to control outputs based on external inputs and stored-program logic.

Your answer might be worded differently and still be correct, but it should contain the basic idea.

Last edited: