FTVS-ME Design connection Lost

bright676

I don't know what happened or if I did something but some how I lost my connection to my PV+ 1250 and cannot get it connected again, it keeps telling me to select a different path.

I wish it would tell me why I cant use it instead of just telling me it cant be used.

I can ping the PV+.

The run time works fine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Capture.jpg

The only time I've ever seen this is because the ethernet driver was deleted from the PVP. Same symptoms; I could ping it but I could not download to it with the ME transfer utility.

You say that the runtime is working fine; is it actually communicating with anything? If so, is it via ethernet or via a serial connection?

Go to the terminal settings on your PVP and check your communication drivers; I'm guessing that you won't find an ethernet driver.

My runtime is connected to the SLC 500 with a serial cable from the PV+.

I do see the Ethernet driver in the pv+ settings with the same i.p.

Hmm. Odd. At least it makes sense that the runtime is working because it's not using the ethernet connection.

Are there any other settings around the ethernet driver that could have been changed? Anything that you did right before it stopped working, however innocuous seeming?

You could potentially try resetting all the drivers to default and see if that helps at all. It's been a few years since I've poked around in that area of the settings, I can't really remember what's in there.

Ah, I think you may be misunderstanding.

You're probably looking at the ethernet adaptor settings. Which is where you set the IP address of the ethernet interface, and also yes, set whether or not to use DHCP.

No, you don't need to use DHCP - that means that the HMI does not have an IP address, but requests one from a DHCP server every time it connects to the network.

Somewhere else in the settings, there's communication driver settings. There will be something about RSLinx Enterprise in there, and when you open it up, you should see a similar "tree" structure to the one in your screenshot above. My guess is, that there'll be the serial driver there, but no ethernet driver.

Have a poke around and see what you can find - sorry I can't be more help, but as I say, it's been a while!

Wait. Hang on. I think I'm the one who's misunderstanding...

Your screenshot above now that I look closer is the communication setup window within FTView Studio, correct?

What that windows is for, is to set up a shortcut to a PLC, not a HMI. You see that there's a shortcut there called lc_1, I'm betting that it's assigned to the SLC via the DH+ driver. So when you assign a button on the HMI to [lc_1]::B3:0/0 it knows which PLC to look for. Obviously all of this is set up correctly, because your runtime is working.

If you try to apply the shortcut to the HMI, you won't be able to use it, because it's expecting you to give it a PLC to look at, not a HMI.

I guess at this point we need to take a step back and ask what you're trying to do? I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle here.

I'm trying to get my pc connected to my pv+ so I can use the transfer wizard. It used to work, then I got that status message, select a different path.

Ah, OK. Can you post a screenshot of the ME transfer utility window showing the PV in the tree there? It's possible that you're drilling down too far into the PVP, when you actually need to just select the "top level" PVP in the list.

One other possibility - if you try to download a .mer file from a network drive, you will get an error message saying something along the lines of "the selected device is not a valid factorytalk device". Which is not misleading at all :rolleyes: copy your .mer file to the desktop and try to download it from there.

I think the problem is in my comm set up in the design set up. I cant get the apply button to highlight so I can use it.

The comm setup in the design tab of FTView STudio doesn't have anything to do with this problem. The apply button is not applying the communication path to your HMI, it's assigning a shortcut to the PLC. Don't change any shortcuts in there, you'll just break the runtime and it won't help you connect to the PVP at all.

I can see from your file path that your file is not on a network drive either, so that probably rules out my other suggestion - but just to humour me, copy the .mer to the desktop and try to download it again.

One other possibility is a firmware mismatch, although I thought you could still download the file, it just wouldn't run. Can you check the firmware version of the PVP, and confirm what version .mer you have created?

its a no go on the desk top, but I can load it on to a thumb drive and down load it into the pv that way

Just to clarify - do you mean you can put it onto a USB, plug the USB into the PVP and transfer it that way? Or copy it onto a USB, and then use the transfer utility to transfer it using your PC? Does the runtime work if you run it having used this method to get it there?

What about the firmware versions - did you check those?