Factorytalk Version Operation

buddhaman001

Confusing title I know but the question should be simple enough.

I currently run ftv studio 7.0, and am downloading 8.1.

When I install 8.1 and edit a 7.0 project will the dev software:

A) open it as 7.0 and keep it as 7.0 for the end user's server (or let me select a version)
or
B) take the 7.0 project and automatically convert it to an 8.1 ruining my end user's compatibility.

?

Thank you for any and all responses ahead of time.

And per usual Thank You to this forum for helping me get going when I was first starting out!

In ME, its a little bit of both, so..

C) Its gonna make it a 8.1 project but when you create your runtime, select 7.0 mer and end user sees nothing different. When you restore from .APA or .MER, its gonna settle for the FTView version you got installed

I cant say for SE, I never worked with it

Last edited:
Option B.

8.1 will not open an older version and keep the project in that older version. When you try to open it it will ask if you wan to up convert it. If you choose yes, then you won't be able to open it with the older version. If you chose "No" the it will just abort the open.

You can back compile to the older version's runtime to run on older firmware, but the project will only be able to be edited in 8.1.

-Benaiah

Edit: thebuj types faster than I do :)

The only projects that you can "convert" to older runtimes is ME. If you're talking about SE, there is no conversion to older runtimes.

Hmmm, ok, I think I'll backup my virtual machine and install it normally. If that doesn't work I'll either install it separately or worst case create a new virtual machine.

Well, not converting as much as just wanting to keep existing SE projects in the same revision so that if i have to go back and tweak something later or add a little gadget I won't have to worry about if it is going to run on his 7.0 server if i tweak it in a 8.1 studio.

SE Projects must be the same revision to work. Much like Logix 5000. You can't edit something in Studio 8.1 and expect it to run in SE ver. 7.0.

Ok, tried it, yeah it doesnt really give many options for keeping on the same number so I just made a duplicate VM, one for version 7, and one for 8.1.

Thanks for the answers guys!

I swear I'll be fluent enough in this one day that I can actually come on and HELP instead of asking for it!!