Panelview plus 700

stevensonjeff

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a PV plus 700 that we have uploaded the mer from onto a jump stick. We are trying to open it with Factory talk 6.0. Created new file, named it same thing, hit import, navigated to location but we get a "File (blah, blah, blah) is not a valid runtime application" message. Clicking on it with Factory talk station gives us an version compatibility error. So my questions are basically two in number. How do I determine the version of the original program? and is there another path to get it to open? We tried all of the restore functions but came up empty as well. Thanks.

You need to use the Application Manager (AKA Application Mangler). It's typically found in Start>Programs>Rockwell Software>FactoryTalk View>Tools.

Open that up, and select "restore runtime application", point it to your .mer file, and let it do it's thing.

One other point though - if you've already created a new application called [whatever you want to call this file], it won't be able to restore the file as there's already something called that. So you'll have to use the Application Mangler to delete the one you created first.

Good luck!

We started out using application mangler and got the same error. I read a thread on here that suggested creating a new file same name and import, same thing. I did as you suggested and deleted the new file we created, then tried application mangler again, same results. Is it possible that the download to the jumpstick is no good? It seemed ok. On the jumpstick was the Rockwell software>rsviewme>runtime>our file just as we expected. I still do not know how to tell the version of the program. Perhaps we have a compatibility issue? We only have 2 PV pluses in the facility, this one and a PV400. We did fine with the 400, but the 700 is kicking our tails. Anything you can think of is greatly appreciated.

If you have a PanelView Plus 6 700, the .MER runtime file was created using a newer version of FactoryTalk View ME (newer than 6.0).

In that case, nhatsen is probably right, if you've got a newer version .mer file you won't be able to open it with an older version of FTView.

Have a look at this thread - one of the smart cookies on here made a tool a while ago to tell you what version your .mer file is. Make sure to read all the info, and then give that a try, and let us know what revision the .mer file is.

Thanks for the link ASF. Took a minute to get it to work, did not realize I did not have 7zip installed. Very cool tool though. Version was 6.10. Took file over to a buddy I know at another plant, put it through his machine running 7.0 and opened no sweat. Guess it's time to call Rockwell for an upgrade. Argh! Thanks for all your help.

No problem, glad you got it working! FYI, they're up to version 8 now (and that's been out a while, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's a version 9 in the pipeline). Well worth getting hold of v8 IMO, there's quite a few little annoyances improved between v6 and v8.

No problem, glad you got it working! FYI, they're up to version 8 now (and that's been out a while, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's a version 9 in the pipeline). Well worth getting hold of v8 IMO, there's quite a few little annoyances improved between v6 and v8.

Cannot comment on version 9, but they expect to ship 8.20 (currently on 8.10) during April.