Panelview Plus 700

Christoph

Good day all!

I need to make some modifications to a Panelview program.
I uploaded it from the unit. Tried to use the Application mgr. to convert to an
apa file from the .mer runtime file. The file was protected. Nobody knows about
it or the password. Is there a way to get around this?

If a prompt appears asking for a password when restoring from a .mer file to a FTView ME project the .mer file project is password protected. There are no back doors or workarounds if the password is unknown.

Howdy, I have ran jnto this a couple times and the below has worked for me, I copied the below from the reddit post I found about it, the protection file is normally just 4 numbers and when you open the file in hex you scroll almost all the way down to the bottom, and those 4 will appear in the same spot.

Just make sure you save a duplicate copy before hand, and done change anything except these 4 numbers, otherwise it won't work at all. I know ot works on older ones, I think the newer ones are blocked from doing this.

You can open the .mer file with 7zip. Go to the file protection folder and copy the hex code. Then you need to open the .mer file with a hex editor (I can’t remember what one I use) and search for the hex code you copied. Change them all to zero and save. Then you’ll be able to convert the .mer. Just save it back in the version it tells you it is.

Some might interpret those instructions as a piracy attempt. I don't, but others might. This forum is sensitive to that so I'm not sure how others will behave but I'm not gonna delete it as I think on these older systems it should be permitted especially since it's not uncommon knowledge.
I expect others might feel otherwise so just be aware.

Of particular note as a potentially valid use of this is v5 files, which are forcibly set as 'protected format' when generated in a 64-bit environment.

Fair enough, I didn't even think about it, since at my company, they have a large amount of turnover, and the amount of people working on projects is high and I had no clue who worked on it, or where the computer that person used/password would be. I also know ours were done in house and were not any companies projects. Thanks for the heads up.

I get it, I work with a LOT of legacy stuff from companies long since gone. We always get NDA agreements from any equipment so we have all the code but over time, stuff gets lost and the grey hairs that knew everything are all on a beach somewhere.
So this kind of thing happens. No big deal, just don't want to open the floodgates.