1746-HSCE Inches per second display

Burton

Hello All, Can someone tell me if I'm looking at this correct? I am using an Encoder Products Co. Linear cable encoder with a quadrature line driver output with a max frequency of 125 KHZ. I was told this is the same as the differential encoder listed in the HSCE user manual page 3-11. The encoder supplies 40 cycles per one inch of cable. Would one cycle equal one count in I:E.1? I do have the HSCE set up for X2. o_O Thanks,

Last edited:
Hey Bernie, you are correct I get 80 counts per inch. I'm not sure how to convert my rate measuremant I:E.3 into inches per second to display on a HMI.

Note the information for the Rate Measurement (I:e.3 e = slot).

It 'knows' which mode (in your case X2) you are in and divides by the appropriate amount (in your case 2). It also 'knows' the rate period you have chosen (M0:e) and does the proper calculation so that the value in the Rate Measurement is in counts/second.

So just divide the reading by 40 to get inches per second.

would the accuracy be the same if I used the I:e.2 count and scaled with a HMI to get I.P.S. verses using the I:E.3 and scaling with a HMI to get the same I.P.S.
Thanks,

The 'rate period' is the time over which it accumulates counts. it takes this into account when setting the 'Rate Measurement'. If you set the period for 1 second (100) then the count is multiplied by 1. If you set it for 1/2 second (50) then it would multiply its accumulated count by 2 before sending it to 'Rate Measurement'. No matter what you set the 'rate period' to the Rate Measurement is counts/second. Obviously a longer 'Rate period' yields a more accurate reading but less often. A shorter 'Rate Period' yields a new Rate Measurement' more often but with less accuracy. You decide. But in any case the Rate Measurement' is in counts/second.

Regarding using I:e.2 - just let the HSC do what it was designed to do. Use the Rate Measurement.