Omron to Red Lion Comms

PLC Gremlin

Help Please ,...

I have a CQM1H-CPU51 and I need to communicate with a Red Lion
Segmented Display. I have a rs232 to serial loop converter hooked
up to the hostlink port and then to the redlion. I finally got the
redlion set for serial communications and i think i have the two
devices set up the same way. Anyway, now i need to figure out how
to send messages to it. what instruction do i need to use TXD ?

I will be sending ASCII over to it and then the terminater is an "*"
I am using it to display fault codes and othe messages..
Any help on the transmit and receive commands would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

Full moon?

Well thank you Jay for your input.
I would think that the serial protocal requirements are specific to your device, and hence the non answer from Jay! You need to be more specific with the model of your RED LION display unit. There is allot of knowledge here on this board, I know, I have seen it. When you ask a question you really need to be specific in your initial question! If your not, then you'll get the "JAY" response! It's not Jay,I would do the same! although I pick on him because he should have said the same thing I am now .... I know Jay from previous postings, and I respect him. Now, gain my respect and Jays' and others by letting us know all of the STUFF! about your project and be very specific about make, model #, and what you have already done to try to make it work! WE cannot help if you tie our hands by letting little things you know go un-noticed!

bitmore, waiting for just a bit more

Last edited:
Yeah, I was at home last night when I posted and didn't have all the info.. I'm back at work now..

It is an Apollo Message Display (SLAVE SERIES) Red Lion Model MDS.

The unit expects to receive serial transmision strings in the following format... ttt....t <term>

whereas tt...t is Message text , up to 127 characters. AND
<term> is the terminating character which is "*" or Null (00h - 0)

It does not need a unit address identifier or anything else.