Easter egg in the firmware of a Siemens PLC

With things like AB______ (you know) for 5 and 500 I'm sure AB has a few of those as well in 5000. Just nobody has found them yet.

Hah, yeah, I saw that when it was released in the aftermath of stuxnet. I never did get a PLC with the right firmware version to give it a try.

It amazes me how every vendor was caught with their proverbial pants down, and how little most people in the industry actually cared. To be fair, most vendors tried to update things on their newer products, but there are a lot of huge flaws out there that are actually originally "features" designed into the products. Vendors are allowed to ignore reporting vulnerabilities if it isn't a "bug" but a systemic/architectural flaw.

Reminds me a bit of the "long haired freaky people need not apply" sign that is in the TIA graphics list.

(Other note, 1 dollar a week for no ads on that site..., and they also have 15 trackers. hooray plctalk for only having 1)

Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of the "long haired freaky people need not apply" sign that is in the TIA graphics list.

My guess is a lot of HMIs share that easter egg/feature. I think that's just part of the standard Symbol Factory library everyone licenses.