easter eggs

Not a real easter egg, but I had an hidden operation mode for our client, it is for local simulation of remote operation. We call it Michael mode and the access button for it is hidden. The popup includes the clients picture.

When the installation was officially opened, they invited government officials and national tv. My easter egg made national TV.

Can't find the report, but did find a still :)

http://www.danskfjernvarme.dk/-/med...erker/elkedelstudstrupaffaldvarmearhusweb.jpg

Just about all of our PLC's go into customer projects. We have one PLC in the workshop though that switches some things on and off, logs our power consumption. We have solar panels on the workshop roof, so on sunny days power use is negative and the PLC can switch on additional stuff instead of feeding back to the grid. Power use and a clock are also shown on displays in the workshop. Now on friday afternoon end of the workweek we have a drink together (mind you, one beer max, no drunk drivers). In the last half hour before end of the working day, the drinks are announced on the display. One or two seconds per minute only, so fairly well hidden. It took most of my colleagues several months before they noticed.

I didn't program it, but we had a press with a 2-line canned message display that would, at random times, flash "Help, Mr. Wizard!" for a second or two then revert back to normal operation.

I always chuckled if I caught it doing that.

I found a certain brand of hmi not only used numbers as passwords to unlock some screens but you could make it ask a question too.
If you leave the answer blank, it doesn't matter what they input as the answer, it will still log in.
I have put things like, Where do you live?
It always says OK and logs in.
This is only done on a higher level for maintenance and foremen and usually gives them no more screens than lower levels.
It amuses me to watch them log in and answer the question thinking they have higher control.

I used to include a section that let you draw on the touch screen with your finger. Unfortunately, the library that generated the marks was 8-bit and the move to 32bit graphics broke that library and I never bothered to do anything about it.

I haven't put any of my own easter eggs in, but I did find one in a SLC program for one of our packing machines. One of the unused bits had a description of "the devil made me do it." There was another description on one of the integer bits that was similar, but I can't remember exactly what it was now. Not really amusing, just odd.

Pressed wrong button twice

I did one once that only worked for second shift, and then only once, then I had to reset it.

If they pressed the wrong buttons twice the HMI would say
"ouch press the correct buttons" When they tried to show someone it would not do it because it needed to be reset.