waterproof touchscreen options

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello I am looking for a waterproof (IP65 or greater) touchscreen monitor, preferably with an HDMI input and powered by ELV, preferably 24V DC. Haven't decided on size yet, likely 15-19". And if there are any UK distributors that would be a bonus. (Have found some by google'ing but looking for tried and tested recommendations).

Last edited:
If you need a panel mount monitor, I think it is fairly common for them to be IP65 from the front.

If you need one that fits on an arm, I know Siemens has a 19" IP65 touch screen monitor (IFP1900PRO). It doesn't support HDMI directly, but it supports both DisplayPort and DVI. As powerplan said, conversion is easy. You would need to run USB back as well, if you want the touchscreen signal. I don't know a UK distributor, but I'm sure they have one.

Thanks for the suggestions. It won't be on an arm - I'm going to mount it in a thin stainless enclosure just bigger than the display. The enclosure can be moved/docked between 15 machines as needs arise. Then using something like: http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-...display-over-gigabit-adapter-with-audio-p6773 with the receiver mounted in the enclosure, will talk to the SCADA server located in a dry room 50 metres above the production hall.

On another note, resistive type is fine for food based, wash down environments?

Thanks for the suggestions. It won't be on an arm - I'm going to mount it in a thin stainless enclosure just bigger than the display. The enclosure can be moved/docked between 15 machines as needs arise. Then using something like: http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-...display-over-gigabit-adapter-with-audio-p6773 with the receiver mounted in the enclosure, will talk to the SCADA server located in a dry room 50 metres above the production hall.

On another note, resistive type is fine for food based, wash down environments?

If you are looking at a food based spray down environment, you probably want a device that is rated for IP66K, and you also probably want something that is stainless steel. This definitely has a large price premium over your average monitor. Some of them would be just IP66K from the front and need to be mounted in a panel, others might actually be a standalone IP66K device intended to be mounted on a swing arm.

If you're looking to use a DVI extender, you might want to look into simply using a thin client instead of a DVI extender and monitor. The thin client is a display with a very simple computer in it, which is intended to be used to VNC or Remote desktop into a computer somewhere else on the network.

I had thought about a thin client, but thought they would be more expensive than the remote monitor option. Plus - do they have to be shut down and booted up every time they are moved and docked?

I had thought about a thin client, but thought they would be more expensive than the remote monitor option. Plus - do they have to be shut down and booted up every time they are moved and docked?

It might be more expensive than a normal monitor, but once you start comparing IP66K specific products with stainless steel fronts, I doubt the difference is that huge once you add everything up. If you need touchscreen capability, you'd need a USB extender in addition to the DVI extender for a regular monitor.

Would the mobile dock have power while you wheel it from machine to machine? I assumed it would have to turn off regardless. To that point, though, if you can power it the whole time, it probably depends on the model. Some of them allow you to pre-configure multiple connections and switch between them at will.

The DVI extender has USB functionality too. No, the dock would be unplugged, moved, docked, plugged in. The plug will have pins in it that detect which station it's docked at, which will drive the SCADA screen viewed.

We used a few Beckhoff DVI displays that turned out well. Beckhoff also has them already mounted in an enclosure which might be convenient.

We also used video baluns from blackbox.com so that the video signal was carried over ethernet cable which is easier to run than HDMI and DVI cables.

I would avoid the DVI extender (KVM); they are easy to setup but can cost you in the long run.

KVM:
good for short distance, direct connect cables (not over Ethernet)
Must replace broken KVM with similar make/model in the future (vendor locked)
Ethernet boxes need custom software on the PC side
direct connect box can be managed by electricians

Thin-client boxes:
can be had for about the same price as Ethernet KVM
are vendor neutral; can use with VMware, Citrix, Windows, etc.
have better performance (vs. Ethernet KVM)
can be managed by your IT department

... I suppose it's the last point that turns people to either the KVM or thin-client.