1761-NET-ENI Module

jrsnydley

We have a MicroLogix 1500 talking to an 1761-NET-ENI module. From the module, the Ethernet plugs into a switch along with a PanelView 550. The module had appeared to fail again (about the 4th time since I started my position a little over a year ago.) Every time it fails, we get a read timeout error on the PanelView 550. I configured it the same way I have all of the others. I used the ENI utility and then I swapped it out.

From the Ethernet switch, I can ping both the ENI and the PanelView. In RSLinx, I can talk to the PLC by directly plugging into the serial port. However, it appears that the PLC will not talk to the ENI. I swapped the cable out and still no results. Anybody have any ideas?

I have had only moderate success with ENI modules. In fact, several have failed within a year or two of installation. Reloading the firmware has helped in some cases. In other cases, they simply require a manual re-boot, which can be done by making sure the switch is not in the EXT position and unplugging the cable from the PLC for a couple seconds.

If it's only one ENI in particular, you should double-check its IP address to make sure it isn't conflicting with another on the same network.

The best alternative I have found is replacing with Digi One IAP. They can handle more connections and can be used to connect two PLCs to a single physical Ethernet connection.

There is no conflict with other IP addresses. It is receiving 24 VDC from an external source so the switch is in the external position. I have tried to cycle power to it and the end result is always the same.

Have you tried adjusting the Ethernet Speed / Duplex setting in the ENI/ENIW Utility? I think it's on the lower left portion of the tab where IP address is configured. I vaguely remember having to adjust it to 10Mbps for a particular ENI in order to get it to work. It defaults to Auto Negotiate

I have been having issues with these throughout the plant. Most are a minimum of 5 years old.

Basically, you have to do a power cycle to the device, and pretty soon it will fail again. You can replace the device, and I have been sending them out to a company for repair with pretty good success.

I'm not sure exactly what goes on with these things, but they are pretty tricky.

I have been having issues with these throughout the plant. Most are a minimum of 5 years old.

Basically, you have to do a power cycle to the device, and pretty soon it will fail again. You can replace the device, and I have been sending them out to a company for repair with pretty good success.

I'm not sure exactly what goes on with these things, but they are pretty tricky.

EDIT: +1 for the Digi. I just noticed it was already promoted here.

Allen Bradley makes great PLCs and RSLogix software is the bomb. Other people make better auxiliary equipment:

See the Digi One IAP for a "better" NET-ENI. At a former job, we replaced the problem child NET-ENIs with the DIGIs as a routine practice.

They don't suffer from the same connections limit, and seem to handle high traffic volumes better or at least not "freeze up" in my experience. They also cost less and give you an extra (pass through) serial port. You also will gain some DIN rail space. Setting up the first one may take a little more time, since they are not limited to just A/B protocols.

Last edited:
I'm going to get a quote and try one of these out. We have some production critical equipment that use the eni's and if I can get something more reliable in there I would be a happy man.

EDIT: +1 for the Digi. I just noticed it was already promoted here.

Allen Bradley makes great PLCs and RSLogix software is the bomb. Other people make better auxiliary equipment:

See the Digi One IAP for a "better" NET-ENI. At a former job, we replaced the problem child NET-ENIs with the DIGIs as a routine practice.

They don't suffer from the same connections limit, and seem to handle high traffic volumes better or at least not "freeze up" in my experience. They also cost less and give you an extra (pass through) serial port. You also will gain some DIN rail space. Setting up the first one may take a little more time, since they are not limited to just A/B protocols.

Agree 100% the Digi One IAP is a much more robust product.

Sorry, I have been out for a few days with the flu! I was able to get it by manually setting the baud rate instead of using the Auto feature. I got online with the PLC and looked at the channel configuration and used the appropriate baud rate from the drop down list in the ENI utility. Thanks for all of the responses. I may look into some of these replacements.