Chilled water loop

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Gentlemen,

I have talked my way into designing a chilled water system, and I was curious if any of you could recommend a air to water heat exchanger vendor?

Planning on using one with a 3ph fan, and I will adjust fan speed based on pre and post temps. Will also have a secondary water to water exchanger for the summer months when its hot.

Thanks

I should add that I have no experience with this so if anybody has any tips or think my plan sounds retarded, I appreciate the input.

Last edited:
You realize you need to provide more detail then that...
Are you cooling a lawnmower engine or power plant?
Application, specifics, details.

In my estimation this wont be a terribly difficult project to cut my teeth on.

*As I'm describing our process I find myself realizing more and more information that I am going to need to know šŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒ*

Basically I want to supply lets say 15.5C water to somewhere between 10 to 40 presses. When the water returns to the loop
post process it will be heated up to probably around 32C.

it will return to a 200gallon holding tank and the total volume of the system will be about 300 gallons.

My plan is to use a air/liquid heat exchanger to regulate the holding tank temperature by way of a fan with a VFD. In the summer time when air tempreature is higher and wont yield any cooling effect, I plan to switch to an auxilary water/water exchanger and draw off our 0deg glycol loop to maintain.

It may be that my best option is to just dump the air/water completely and just stick to the water/water, but I've yet to decide.

I work in the process industry and have dealt with many of these types of systems. The most important thing is the thermal dynamics thru the heat exchanger. If the design is correct then the delta T that you are looking for across the heat exchanger should be no problem. As far as a manufacture of a fan system cooling system Evapco makes a cooling tower that uses fans and water. Essentially it pumps water from the cooling tower thru a heat exchanger and returns the water back to the tower. The tower has fans installed usually on the roof. When the temperature of the return water reaches X setpoint the fans start. Manufacture of heat exchanger I would recommend what they call a plate and frame heat exchanger. If the delta T across the plate and frame is not correct you can add more plates to increase the cooling capacity. The plate and frame exchangers can also be used for a glycol system. I would also recommend that you use I/P 3
(fisher style)modulating valves for your water tower side and glycol side of your exchangers as these allow for very tight controls. Hope this helps...

I'm also forgot to mention.. On the press side of the exchangers you said 10 to 40 presses. I'm would design it so that it could run 1 or 2 pumps to supply the presses with water when all 40 are operational. Typically you would put a modulating valve after the last press with a pressure switch mounted in line say 10 ft from the valve. This valve is used to maintain X pressure thru the exhangers. The funny thing about exchangers is if you don't maintain a certain pressure on the side of the process controls then your delta T is not right on the exchanger.

put two looops of copper piping in the buffer.
one for the glycol with a control valve and another going to a evaporating watersprayer. this pump is on/off type as the buffer is big enough for this type of control.