How to convert S7-200 -> S7-300 ?

Thanks for the info (as always) Jesper.

This is quite a big program and it's been many years since I programmed in MicroWin so I'm very rusty.

Will dig into it a bit more though and probably manually convert.

Thanks for the info :)

Another "unofficial" way is to export your S7-200 Program from Micro/WIN to an STL Source file, then open it in a text editor and manually convert the instructions and addresses as necessary, and copy/paste it into STEP 7 blocks. I did it this way a couple time to save typing and keep things more in order.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of one. You can refer to the online help of both Micro/WIN and STEP 7.

One thing to be aware of, is in bit logic of the S7-200, the first LD <bit> instruction begins a logic series.
ex:
LD I 0.0
A I 0.1
= Q 0.0

But in STEP 7 it begins with an A <bit> instruction:

A I 0.0 (AND I 0.0)
A I 0.1 (AND I 0.1)
= Q 0.0 (output coil)

For Math, in S7-200 it's usually like this:
+I MW0, MW2 (means: MW0 + MW2 = MW2!!)

In STEP 7:
L MW0 (load MW0)
L MW2 (load MW2)
+I (Integer add)
T MW2 (store result in MW2)

If your S7-200 program is viewable in ladder logic, it might be easier and more understandable for you to do a (painfully long) manual conversion.

Didn't know any of that!

Thanks again for your help.

It's all viewable in ladder so will go through and do what I can and then maybe refer to the forum for instructions that I get stuck with.

Cheers! :)

...keep in mind the addresses should most likely be converted as follows (S7-200 -> S7-300):

I -> I
Q -> Q
M -> M
V -> DB (you have to create data blocks in STEP 7)
AIW -> PIW (even numbers starting at 256 and higher)
AQW -> PQW (even numbers starting at 256 and higher)

If there is an HMI involved, the driver and V memory addresses have to be changed as well.

Yes there is a HMI involved but we are going to change the HMI for a new one and just replicate the functionality. A big thank you for the conversion help there. I didn't know that V memory was the same as DB memory. That's very handy!

:)

There is a difference in the way S7-200 handles retentive memory vs. S7-300. Retentive memory meaning whether it retains it's value on power loss or the STOP -> RUN transition.

In the S7-200 check the System Block, and retentive memory (I don't remember the exact menu), and see if there are defined ranges for M or V memory. in S7-200, you define what is retentive (or not retentive).

In the S7-300, all DBs are retentive (by default), and the number of bytes of retentive M memory is specified starting with address MB 0. This is in the hardware configuration of the CPU, under "cycle/clock memory".

That said, you may not have to worry about this at all, but it's a good idea to check on it.

Basically, if you need retentive values in the S7-300, use DB or M within the specified range. If you need non-retentive values, M memory above the specified range.

A few other differences:
-SM?.? don't exist in 300's, but some have similarities/workaraounds
-no 1ms timers, standard (S5...) timers have minimal resolution of 10ms, IEC-TON timers might be better but dependent on scan time