mitsubishi FX1n/encoder connection

Bill Wendle

I'm new to plc applications.
Can I connect an encoder to register position in the plc to output an AC Motor drive for bi-directional operation.
I'd like to have a 3 button input to operate the plc/drive to move to position.
confused.

I didn't use FX in a while but as far as I remember they all have high speed inputs (I think it's the first six of them X0-X5). This is in case you want to use quadrature encoder. If you have absolute encoder with parallel output, you can use any inputs but this will consume one input for every bit of resolution you need (might not be reasonable solution on brick PLCs although FX1N is somewhat expandable I think).
In first case (quadrature encoder) you would have to connect A and B encoder outputs to X0 and X1. If your intend to use maker, connect Z output to X2. Make sure to match voltage and polarity or use interface if they don't match.