FTV Machine Edition Asking for Licenses

showshocka

Hi. I'm trying to open the runtime file to my PV 1500+ using my ME Edition of Factory Talk. It's asking for more Licences, and saying that it's Unable to open the HMI project. I only have one PV here so What more could they be referring to?

ME log on.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you are trying to open the runtime file. Use FactoryTalk View Studio ME, to connect to a panelview 1500+ for configuration. You do need a license to use studio, though.

But the screenshot is from a PC not a PV+. ME Station refers to the ME runtime running on a PC, not a PV+. If there isn't a license on the PC for ME Station, it will only allow you to have 5 screens or less. Sort of a demo mode.

You're probably just double-clicking on the *.MER file, so it's trying to start the program associated with *.MER files, which is FactoryTalk View Runtime. That's not what you want (I think).

If you want to modify a FactoryTalk View project and all you have is the *.MER runtime file, you need to extract all the files from the *.MER (it's basically a special kind of ZIP file) and make them back into a FactoryTalk View Studio project.

Do that with the FTView Application Manager utility. When you open it up, one of the function selection options is "Restore Runtime Application".

This might not work if the original file is old (I think the feature was added in v5.10) or if the original author chose to prevent project restoration from the runtime.

Are you literally trying to run the *.MER Runtime on your PC so that it executes the HMI program just like it would on a PanelView Plus terminal ?

Or are you trying to open the project in the FactoryTalk View editor so you can view and edit its constituent screens, tags, objects, and features ?

The error message you posted suggests that you are trying to run the *.MER Runtime, but that you have borrowed an activation for FactoryTalk View Studio ME, rather than for FactoryTalk View ME Runtime, because the FactoryTalk View Studio license enables a 2-hour operation of the Runtime file for testing or for emergencies.

Last edited:
Basically. Ken is talking about two different softwares that work together, and need separate licensing. FactoryTalk View Studio, is used for configuration, and connecting to the PanelView for file transfers. FactoryTalk View ME Station is used for actively viewing a process on the PLC as the PanelView would. An actual HMI that uses the same runtime file as the PanelView. FactoryTalk View ME Station licenses are "Node Locked", typically, and FTAM doesn't allow to borrow "Node Locked" licenses.

Last edited:
If you wish to open the file in FactoryTalk View Studio, then do as Ken suggested earlier, and use the "Application Manager" within tools folder on your Rockwell Applications menu, and choose "Restore Runtime Application". Point the utility to the .mer file you are attempting to open. and type in the password, if the file is password protected.

Are you literally trying to run the *.MER Runtime on your PC so that it executes the HMI program just like it would on a PanelView Plus terminal ?

No. Just to view the Tags. I have activated FTV Me through Burrowing a license and I'm still getting that one Error

If that is what you wish to do, Show....you will indeed have to use the "Application Manager" and restore from the runtime. That is the only way FactoryTalk View Studio will open the application.

If that is what you wish to do, Show....you will indeed have to use the "Application Manager" and restore from the runtime. That is the only way FactoryTalk View Studio will open the application.
Of what will Application Manager be a part? What Program. I don't seem to have it

Aplication Manager.jpg

So, it looks like from that list that you only have Station installed and not Studio.

You'll need to install FTViewME Studio in order to 'edit' the application.

There are TWO pieces of software called FactoryTalk View ME. There is FactoryTalk View ME Studio which is used for programming and there is Factorytalk View ME Station for use as a standard windows based PC as a HMI. Both software require separate licenses.