1769-SM2, write # of registers limitation?

James Fillmore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 24 channel power controller that I can write 8 or 16 contiguous registers. But for some reason I can't write all 24 registers. It's not obvious to me why this would be. See config / info pictures below.

I see the SM2 configuration is in INT's.

attachment.php

I see the MSG is writing in BYTES via Modbus to the controller. So presently the MSG is using 24 bytes to send the 12 INT's of data shown below.
To send all 24 channels would require 8 bytes for the 4 control words and 48 bytes for the 24 power words. 56 bytes total to send 28 INTS. Since the SM2 config above shows it reads and writes 31 INTs this SHOULD be doable unless there's a limitation in the power controller.

attachment.php

This is the data being written. Since I couldn't write all 24 registers. instead of writing 16 and then 8. I decided on writing 3 groups of 8 BUT I'd prefer to write all 24 heater power register.

attachment.php

SM2 Config 01.jpg Write MSG 01.jpg SM2 Write Msg Data.jpg

Last edited:
Not familiar with that device, but I have seen some that do have a limitation on the number of words or bytes that can be processed in a single transaction.