Timer for DL05 how to adjust

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,
I started poking around with the DL05 software and they want to change the timer value on T0 in the program.
How do you see what the time variable is set for and how do you adjust this in the DL05 software.

This is on one of the PLC that has not been upgraded to DO-MORE yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

BCS

Had to look that one up.

1. Put it in Edit mode. (click on the Edit Mode on the upper part of the screen or click Edit -> )
2.Click on the timer.
3. Click Edit -> Box. Make sure TMR or whatever flavor of timer you have is indicated in the drop-down. Click OK.
4. The Taaaa is the timer's numeric identifier. You will have either a Vbbbb or a Kbbbb for the preset. The Vbbbb indicates a memory location and the Kbbbb is a constant. Both are formatted in .1 second increments.

Hope this helps.

Just read jaden's post. I learned something - we don't have a TMRF in our one and only program. I didn't realize it had that functionality. Thank you.

Last edited:
Correction on 1.:

1. Put it in Edit mode. (click on the Edit Mode on the upper part of the screen or click Edit -> Edit Mode)

Hey guys thanks for the reply's.

I got the edit mode bit but still cannot drill down to where you can actually see what is set as "timer preset" (or what ever you call it in AD land)

Basically I have a TMRA timer that has the name T0 and below that it says V4001 (which I believe means that it accepts a variable preset).

So on down in the program I have a paralleled branch of 10 CTA0 = Kx (x is 0,1,2,3,etc going down the branch) It seems to me that these Kx instructions are the Constants chosen at the touch screen that write to the variable of the timer preset.

BUT.....I am still unable to find where I can set different values into these Kx instructions.

Trying to get print screens now to post but working for the first time with windows 8 and with DL05........(I really want my logix back) :mad:

If anyone can decipher my hieroglyphics here and has an idea of where to point me let me know. Thanks

BCS

To directly change the memory location: Click on Tools tab, Memory Editor, Find address (V4001), type in new time value, then click on Write to PLC icon.

Look for other rungs that may send values to V4001. Any HMI that might do that?

Sparky,
Unfortunately, I must leave shortly but...

If you have the program open and your computer connected to the processor, click on Data View in the upper part of your screen.

It gives you a new popup in the lower left. Under Element, put in your V4001 and Enter. You should then be able to see changes in V4001 when you change it on the touch screen (I think).

If not, I understand Automation Direct has a good customer support team. The only phone number I have is Atlanta - 770-886-3199.

Just tell them some idiot on this web site led you astray.

Hope this helps.

To directly change the memory location: Click on Tools tab, Memory Editor, Find address (V4001), type in new time value, then click on Write to PLC icon.

Look for other rungs that may send values to V4001. Any HMI that might do that?

Hi there thanks for the reply.

If you got a copy of the program I posted look at rung 12.
I BELIEVE that each of these Kx are the location for the time from the HMI. Where can I see or change the Kx values? It does not let me pull up any Kx in the Memory editor and I am having a hard time figuring out how CTA0 is related to the timer at all?????

This seems way more complicated than Allen Bradley ever did. (any AB program)

Thanks,
BCS

Sparky,
Unfortunately, I must leave shortly but...

If you have the program open and your computer connected to the processor, click on Data View in the upper part of your screen.

It gives you a new popup in the lower left. Under Element, put in your V4001 and Enter. You should then be able to see changes in V4001 when you change it on the touch screen (I think).

If not, I understand Automation Direct has a good customer support team. The only phone number I have is Atlanta - 770-886-3199.

Just tell them some idiot on this web site led you astray.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the feed back, I will take what I can get at this point.
I am not connected to the processor. (factory running) just trying to start wraping my head around this AD......Stuff.
It cannot be this hard to set the preset of a simple timer......can it?????

I will keep poking at it with a sharp stick till I get ****ed off enough.....then I will pull the big rock out of my tool bag and try that....LOL

Keep the advice coming though.....I am an AD newbie and this is my first time messing with it, so I expect a big learning curve.

Tech support wont be back till Monday morning so its just Me and the fishes and you good folks on PLCS.net till then.

Thanks again.

Where can I see or change the Kx values? It does not let me pull up any Kx in the Memory editor and I am having a hard time figuring out how CTA0 is related to the timer at all?????
I'm going from memory here. You can only change Kx values by modifying the value within the instruction itself. There's no accessible memory location where you can change K values by say, editing a Vmem address. Kind of like how to change the timer number in A-B from T4:0 to T4:9 you have to edit the program.

just trying to start wraping my head around this AD......Stuff.

If you have not taken Steve Bailey's advice in his post on your "jump ship" thread, I highly advise you do so. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=681767&postcount=9

I am not connected to the processor.

When you do get on line with the processor, you will need to "click" the "status button" to have the bits in the ladder display the green or turquoise "shading" AKA ones and zeros in the "bit box".

Just to summarize

If the reference begins with a 'V' it is an integer address reference which can be changed at runtime (for example from an HMI or from the Directsoft program itself), similar to an 'N' register reference in AB

If the reference begins with a 'K' it is a constant. This can only be changed offline and then the program must be re-downloaded to the PLC.

Just to summarize

If the reference begins with a 'V' it is an integer address reference which can be changed at runtime (for example from an HMI or from the Directsoft program itself), similar to an 'N' register reference in AB

If the reference begins with a 'K' it is a constant. This can only be changed offline and then the program must be re-downloaded to the PLC.

Hi guys, thank you very much for the feedback.

I will go back and read Steve's post.....you are correct I have not look at it since that day, learning a new ship and have not made much time to sit back down with this new automation platform yet.

I have not had a chance to look back at the program this morning, we have had gov. problems and trouble keeping the mouse on the wheel inside the generator running at the correct speed, so half the lights dont seem to want to stay on very well....LOL

I need to dig deeper into this for sure, but I was up late last night messing with it and still never found WHERE to change the "K" value.

Bernie, I know you are a big DL guru.....if you have a chance can you look at the program I posted and tell me if I am on the right track with the Kx instructions in parellel on rung 12 & 13 being what is changing the variable of the timer preset or are these simply compare instructions and the HMI is actually changing the V4001 directly. (The HMI is very old also and I do not see the program saved with any of the C-More programs on file here, so I have not looked at it yet either.)

What is happening is from the HMI they are only able to change the timer prest by 1 minute increments (HMI keypad does not give you a decimal option), and for the fishery we are on now they need the spraybars to run more like every few seconds instead of minutes, but as you can tell I have yet to find where to adjust this value.
The timer help says it is in tenths of seconds so there must be a way to do this. (I am just not seeing it and feeling a bit dumb trying to get a simple timer adjusted)

In AB I would be able to see that the HMI is writing to a Integer file and then that would be MOVED to the timer preset.....I dont see how this is happening in this DL05 program????????????

#Lovemylogix o_O

I will be back in my office in a bit and look at it some more, gotta run at the moment.

Thanks,
BCS

Last edited:
BCS,

My post only directed you to Bernie's website which has suggestions about working with AD products for people who are already familiar with AB.

One of the biggest hurdles to overcome when learning a new system is the tendency to try to make the new system behave just like the one you're already familiar with.