Suggestions for pulse encoder -> PC

Pete.S.

I have a tiny application where I need to measure a distance with a pulse encoder and get that information into a PC.

What would be a low cost way to achieve this?

Pulse frequency is probably going to be in the 2 kHz range.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete.S,

It would help if we knew what plc you were using as well as a few more details about your application.

1. how is the product being moved?
2. do you want an encoder or use a high speed input with a prox?

regards,
james

Pete.S,

It would help if we knew what plc you were using as well as a few more details about your application.

1. how is the product being moved?
2. do you want an encoder or use a high speed input with a prox?

regards,
james

A motor rotates some drive rolls. The motor stops and start by some automation that is to old to do anything with so basically off limits for this project.

I want to measure the distance that the drive rolls move for each start/stop cycle. I want to do that with a standard industrial incremental rotary encoder. These usually generates a pulse train but bus output would also be okay.

So there is no PLC to hook this up to and the information needs to end up in a PC in some way or another.

It seems like I could use something like a Siemens S7-1200 PLC since it has high speed counter (HSC) inputs.

And then communicate from the PC to the Siemens over ethernet. Price looks like around $230 for the PLC.

have a look at arduino, the encoder is 2,50 $. the display is 4 $ and the controller is for example an NANO costing 3 $
the interface to a PC is free, the programming is free.
a few wires 50 cents so total is a whopping 10 $

have a look at arduino, the encoder is 2,50 $. the display is 4 $ and the controller is for example an NANO costing 3 $
the interface to a PC is free, the programming is free.
a few wires 50 cents so total is a whopping 10 $

That's interesting. How do you interface the arduino to a PC for exchange of data? Serial?

Does the microcontrollers in the arduino have real counter inputs and can they handle dual pulse trains (for up/down counting)? Do they have real optoisolated inputs?

How do you best handle power supply to the arduino and mounting in a case and connection of inputs?

I'm thinking I absolutely need a robust industrial quality incremental rotary/shaft encoder. So while thinking low-cost it's the total cost, including time, that matters. So if component A is $10 but takes 10 hours to assemble and program it would be more expensive than component B that cost $200 and only takes 2 hours to assemble and program.

Last edited:
"Get information into a PC" is a pretty wide open statement. What are you going to do with the information once it gets there(somehow)? Just display? Datalog? Looks like the QSB should do what you need. Both Red Lion and Encoder Products have a variety of encoders that can be mounted to your system.

"Get information into a PC" is a pretty wide open statement. What are you going to do with the information once it gets there(somehow)? Just display? Datalog? Looks like the QSB should do what you need. Both Red Lion and Encoder Products have a variety of encoders that can be mounted to your system.

Once the data gets in to a PC it will be massaged and put in a database, which the user can access through an intranet website.

QSB looks fine but it has to have the CE stamp.

Right now a small PLC with high speed inputs like the Siemens S7-1200 or one of the Mitsubishis looks like the easiest way.