Can you believe this?

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
Looking for skilled PLC programmer 2 plus years of experience, with PLC build capabilities increasing the potential for review. Candidate will be able to develop and implement program for a Fluid Treatment System. Work is on spec with remuneration compensatory with timing and success of implementation.
This is the most recent post in the PLC Jobs area. I'm almost tempted to apply just to learn the details.

It is also not very good English...

"...remuneration compensatory..."

Remuneration is by definition compensation or reward for services rendered. So there is no need to state that the remuneration is "compensatory". This is an unnecessary superfluous adjective (see, I've done it again there).

It would more correct to simply state...

"...remuneration will be commensurate with the timing and success of implementation."

Whatever about success, I am curious as to how remuneration would be based upon the timing of implementation? I can only assume they mean implemented successfully and on time? But again, it is poorly worded.

Tom,

I would say on the "...2 plus years of experience..." they mean 2 years minimum, but I agree that a candidate with only 2 years might still be somewhat inexperienced. It varies with individuals. It depends on what they have been doing compared to what they will be doing. Also, some individuals are just natural born integrators. But, usually candidates are looking to move up the pecking order and so the new roll will more often than not demand more of them. Then again, some prospective employers look for the keen greenhorn whom they can pay that little bit less and hope to get great value for their money.

Of course, that doesn't always work out as expected.

My overall reading of the job advertisement is that there will most likely be a basic salary with a percentage based bonus scheme commensurate with the candidates ability to meet set targets.

Regards,
George

yes, before time and under budget, you may get a bonus.....

Do you think we could use those phrases before answering homework questions on here...................just reward if we get the answer correct?

Years back I answered an employment ad for a PLC technician at a small shop near Detroit. For the "interview" he wanted me to look at a down machine and tell him what I thought was wrong/broken - and see if it was the right answer.

When I found the problem I told him I would fix it when he hired me, or he could pay me a consultants fee for my diagnosis. I found out later he did this to get free service calls for machines that were down and he didn't need urgently that he would have to call in a serviceperson.

Years back I answered an employment ad for a PLC technician at a small shop near Detroit. For the "interview" he wanted me to look at a down machine and tell him what I thought was wrong/broken - and see if it was the right answer.

When I found the problem I told him I would fix it when he hired me, or he could pay me a consultants fee for my diagnosis. I found out later he did this to get free service calls for machines that were down and he didn't need urgently that he would have to call in a serviceperson.

We did this at our old company, but it was a panel we had made specifically for interviews to test their troubleshooting capability. We didn't expect people to work for free.