I can't believe the **** you guys put up with

JesperMP said:
So there is actually something where Siemens is significantly easier than the rest. Im am shocked. It takes only a few steps to do the same with STEP7.
IF you know the current IP Address of your controller so you know what to set your computers IP Address at, have all your firewalls and port blockers turned off...

TWControls said:
IF you know the current IP Address of your controller so you know what to set your computers IP Address at, have all your firewalls and port blockers turned off...

This statement is incorrect.

TWControls said:

Not really. Just need to know the MAC address, well not even that much.

-Plug CP/CPU into the network.
-Plug PG/PC into network.
-Set PG/PC interface to ISO Ind. Ethernet.
-PLC > Edit Ethernet Node
-Either fill in the MAC address if you know it, or use the browse function to search for every Siemens MAC Address. If you used a solid naming convention for all other CP/CPU's, then the one without a name is the one you want. Or look for the one with the generic 192.168....IP.
-Select it, then hit ok.
-Enter IP settings.
-Click on Assign IP configuration.

Within 2 mins it's up and running. Without me actually having to touch the CP/CPU.

If you are sitting next to the PLC, just use standard Cat 5 ethernet cable, PC and PLC both have port sensing so no crosscable needed, connect PC with PLC, PG/PC interface on ISO Ind Eth, search for aaccesible nodes, and download blocks. Make sure you download the SBD also.

Dunno about FW or ports, never had any troubles.

Last edited:
Step7 has feature that allows scanning network for ethernet enabled Siemens components. it lists found devices with short description and MAC address (they DON'T have to match IP and subnet of your PC). one can click on any of the listed devices and assign new IP address or change their name. this is temporary measure to allow gaining access to a device. if you don't do anything and reboot device, it will boot up and run with previous settings. this is very convenient but I've seen cases where it does not work all the time.

Still sounds like my statement wasn't "incorrect". Aren't they listening for broadcast packets on a certain port?

Or are they using ARP entries to do it. ARP broadcast can still be blocked by Ethernet hardware.

Hence, firewalls and port blockers can be a problem. I don't care if it's AB, Siemens, or Omron, the point is the novice programmer who doesn't have a good knowledge of Ethernet can still struggle to connect to the PLC. While I don't like USBs distance limitation, it is much more plug and play than Ethernet

:) Blast you Jeebs and Panic giving away our closely guarded secrets!

I've certainly never had to disable my firewall to connect to a S7 but I don't use a port blocker so you may be correct there in which case I'll amend my comment TW....

"That statement is 66.66'% incorrect"

krk said:
:) Blast you Jeebs and Panic giving away our closely guarded secrets!

I've certainly never had to disable my firewall to connect to a S7 but I don't use a port blocker so you may be correct there in which case I'll amend my comment TW....

"That statement is 66.66'% incorrect"
LOL, Ok, let me clarify my statement :)

Is Siemens easier than other PLCs to connect to over Ethernet?
Yes

Is Siemens easy for a novice programmer to connect to over Ethernet?
NO!

That better :)

OK, Ok...I seemed to touch a nerve with the Siemens clan and I don't like to get into flame wars. While I have some experience with Siemens and Ethernet I will restate to:

Connecting to PLCs on Ethernet, with the exception of Siemens PLCs which I will neither state is easy or hard in order to keep the Siemens clan happy :), can be a pain because of lack of understanding of IP Addresses, port blocking, firewalls, internet security software, etc.

Everyone in Siemensland happy now(y)

TWControls said:
Connecting to PLCs on Ethernet, with the exception of Siemens PLCs which I will neither state is easy or hard in order to keep the Siemens clan happy :),

lol

To defend Siemens a little more.

I has been possible to program Siemens S7 300/400 cpus over ethernet since the 90's. Back then you needed an additional ethernet card (Cp343) to put in the rack with cpu and the drivers for step 7 where not installed togheter with the step7 package. But it was possible and it worked very well.

Bratt said:
To defend Siemens a little more.

I has been possible to program Siemens S7 300/400 cpus over ethernet since the 90's.

Even back in the '80s it was posible to program S5 PLC's over ethernet (thicknet). With: a 685 equiped with the appropriate network card, AUI adapters, properly set up PLC network cards (CP535) and the corresponding path file; you could program multiple PLCs without getting out of your chair.

I do conceed though, it wasn't easy to set up!

Nick

well there ARE nice things about Siemens:rolleyes:, just not too many :ROFLMAO:o_O

one that i like is using Auto for my ethernet connection. if the project is setup correctly, you don't have to change IP of your PC, you can still go online and the same card will simply get second IP address. very conveninet when you still need access to your local network (file server, internet, mail) and you don't want to plug in second ethernet card.