HMI Magelis GTO5310->Printer ZEBRA ZT410

kozy39

Hello

I need to know how I can communicate a Printer ZEBRA ZT410 with my HMI Magelis HMIGTO5310.

Actually I’m using a RS232C cable but it’s not working. I’ve got this error “Printer failure, printer can be offline”. Someone can help me, plz?

https://www.general-data.com/sites/default/files/knowledge_base/ZT400%20Series.pdf
https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra/manuals/en-us/software/zpl-zbi2-pm-en.pdf
The zebra printers use ZPL script that you will write to the printer.
I would first connect the printer to a computer using a serial cable to ensure that the printer is working. Next check the pinout of the serial cable needed for the HMI compared to the serial cable of the computer. Make any necessary pin changes.
Try sending information to the printer.

Regards,
Garry

I worked a lot with Zebra printers. You can use ethernet as well.
It all depends on what your HMI is capable of and what you want to do.

A HMI might not be the best tool for printing.

Hello gclshortt, Pete S.,

Well, what I need to do it’s very simple, “In theory”.
Al the script’s and programing necessary to make my app. functional are already done, now I just want print one group of “alarms and events”. If you are accustomed with HMI Magelis and Vijeo Designer its just unlock the printer mode. Were I’m getting problems is establish the communication between the HMI and the printer.

I have already do the changes of the pinout of the serial cable.

I am really frustrated because I can’t do this communicate!! and I dont have much more time to finish this.🔨

Do you know what Im doing wrong??:confused::confused:

Thanks,

Best regards

You need to troubleshoot.

• How do you know that the cable is correct?
  • How do you know that printing on the printer works at all?
  • How do you know that the printer is setup for printing on the serial port?
  • How do you know that the HMI serial port is setup for printing?
  • How do you know that the printer and the HMI / Vijeo Designer are compatible?

I would be very surprised if that HMI is setup to print to a ZPL type printer out of the box.

What you probably want is a line printer instead.

Instead to send the information directly to the printer I can use the PLC, right?

I’m using the Schneider Modicon M340.

What I pretend to print it’s a ‘form’. For example on the Magelis I answer to 9 questions with the options ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ and then I want to print this information, for example (Question 1 – Yes, Question 2 – No, …). Somebody know what I need to do?

Thanks

Instead to send the information directly to the printer I can use the PLC, right?

I’m using the Schneider Modicon M340.

What I pretend to print it’s a ‘form’. For example on the Magelis I answer to 9 questions with the options ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ and then I want to print this information, for example (Question 1 – Yes, Question 2 – No, …). Somebody know what I need to do?

Thanks

You wont be able to use ZPL as a native protocol from the serial port of an M340 but to satisfy yourself and some possibilities to consider have a read here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=80263&highlight=zpl

And here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=5203106