Honeywell S9000 Modbus

jrh00800

Hi, does anyone have any experience using ModbusRTU on an S9000 series Honeywell controller?

I have multiple 9100e controllers that I would like to crack open Modbus functionality on and have read a few vague posts online here and there that the 25 pin comm port on the controller can support ModbusRTU.

If so what pins on the connector do I use? I currently have a RS422/485 to 232 converter plugged into a usb to 232 adapter on my laptop running KEPServerEnterprise for checking operation/response but am getting nowhere.

I have also configured my controllers comm port for RTU usage and all applicable settings.

Sources:
http://modbus.control.com/thread/1026227495

http://control.com/thread/1360139397

I also have the communications reference and there is no mention of the 25 pin connector anywhere.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi, does anyone have any experience using ModbusRTU on an S9000 series Honeywell controller?

I have multiple 9100e controllers that I would like to crack open Modbus functionality on and have read a few vague posts online here and there that the 25 pin comm port on the controller can support ModbusRTU.

If so what pins on the connector do I use? I currently have a RS422/485 to 232 converter plugged into a usb to 232 adapter on my laptop running KEPServerEnterprise for checking operation/response but am getting nowhere.

I have also configured my controllers comm port for RTU usage and all applicable settings.

Sources:
http://modbus.control.com/thread/1026227495

http://control.com/thread/1360139397

I also have the communications reference and there is no mention of the 25 pin connector anywhere.

Thanks,

Justin

It has been many years since I worked on an S9000, but I don't recall it having Modbus RTU as an option. It used the Honeywell ELN Protocol as far as I can remember.

From Google search...."Honeywell S9000 and Modbus"

"Yes, it can. The Honeywell S9000 has an RS232 or RS485 Modbus RTU interface module that can be used with KEPServerEX's Modbus RTU Serial Driver."
620-0043 - Communications interface module, Modbus RTU

"We have connected Citect to Honeywell PLCs by configuring their serial port as a Modbus slave, and connecting using Citects Modicon Modbus driver. The only thing to consider is that information that is in the loop processor module (if the controller is a Honeywell S9000) needs to be passed to the logic processor (the 620 PLC) so it is available."

"The Honeywell 620 range supports several types of comms dependant on which model you have.
The 620-12/14/16/26/36 procesors all have an on board RS422 comms port (25 pin D) software selectable for either Modbus or Honeywell ABC. Older models of CPU depend on add in cards for their comms. The 620-0042/48 DCMs give 'Honeywell ABC' on RS232/422, whilst the 620-0043 gives Modbus."

Last edited:
Jackpot (Thanks Torulf!)

Good morning Justin (Swedish time),

If you restrict yourself to the version of the S9000 family that had models with Ethernet LPM:s, the ELPM, there is a direct correspondence between the S9000 model names and the LM/PLC versions. The logic processors were identical, also when it comes to communication. The only difference between them was I/O and memory capacity. They were mounted in different racks though.
S9000e was equipped with a 620-12 possibly labeled 9010-012
9100e contained a 620-1633/9010-016
9200e contained a 620-36/9010-036
I have taken the above from memory so the model numbers very likely miss revision letters or other suffixes.

Now for manuals there was an abundance of them in those days serving the different Honeywell product families they were used in. If we concentrate on what was called MAS or Modular Automation System where the S9000 was the controller of choice the proper binder would be MAS-8991A 620 Logic Controller, containing among other documents Form 620-8964 620 Logic Controller System Model 620-12/1633/36.

Please feel free to post this on PLCs.net.

Regards

/T

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torulf,

Great to hear back from you! Yes the scanned info looks very promising.

Part of my confusion seems to be in the model numbers I have in combination with all the reference to 620-XX part numbers.

Is a S9000 Series / 9100e controller (Logic Processor 9010-016C) equivalent to a 620-12/1633/36 CPM? Or can the port on the 9100e be treated the same as if it were on a 620-12/1633/36 CPM?

Could you provide the Manual number that you scanned the pages from so I can see if we have that one please?

I also have a post on PLCs.net in which I ask about this Modbus functionality of the S9000, would you mind if I posted your responses for the benefit of anyone else that happens to come along wanting the same info? (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=699899#post699899)

Thank you so much!

Justin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Justin,

Well, you found the mysterious old poster 

I have scanned a few pages from the logic processor hardware manual for you. If this is not what you are looking for, please be more specific and I will try to assist.

Regards

/T

Hi, my name is Justin from Golden, Colorado and I have come across some great info on some forums regarding Honeywell S9000 controllers and Modbus contributed by Torulf Wiberg. I have tried calling the phone number that he references in his posts but I believe it may no longer be in service? Could someone help me get in touch with Torulf via email possibly? Or maybe someone else has experience and can guide me through some setup of Modbus on S9000 controller?

Particularly interesting was this post by Torulf in 2007: http://modbus.control.com/thread/1026227495

I have setup my processor for RTU but cannot figure out what pins to use on the 25 D Sub, a pinout would be a great help along with any other info

Thanks,

Justin

S9000 MODBUS.jpg