Safety Shutoff Valve for Water

benaiahhenry

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

I've got an application where I need to shut off water supply when an estop is pressed, and I'm having a hard time finding a safety rated valve to do that with.

SMC makes stuff like this for air. I need something like this for water.

I don't have to worry about venting out the water like I would with air though because the other end of the line is an open drain.

The system needs to meet a PLd.

Have any of you guys dealt with dumping water on an estop?

Thanks!

-Benaiah

you may also want to consider 2 valves in series to provide additional protection / redundancy of the valve if it is a critical application

you may also want to consider 2 valves in series to provide additional protection / redundancy of the valve if it is a critical application

Yes, I am planning on doing that as well. The main part I've been having problems with is the feedback from the valve.

-Benaiah

What is the application? are you using a Pump or is it mains feed?

if it is as you say open to drain and venting is not an issue, so there is no possibility of the system holding pressure after an E-Stop

You could shut down the pump via STO on the VSD or Dual Contactors thats of course if you are using a pump