Downloading .MER to PV+ get " The destination selected is not a valid FactoryTalk ME

Rob S.

Downloading .MER to PV+ get " The destination selected is not a valid FactoryTalk ME

Good Afternoon ,

I have installed 3) new Panelview Plus HMI's the last 2 months and have not had any issues. I just received a new Panelview Plus 600 , and created a Runtime application 5.10. When I go to download I get a " The destination selected is not a valid FactoryTalk View ME Station Destination ". I have good
communication. I am able to ping the PV+. Searching threads , I see one that Transfer Utility needs a upgrade , but I just recently did a new Panelview Plus HMI application. Any thoughts,

Thanks in advance,

Panelview Plus 600 2711-T6C20D8 Ser. A

OS 2.35
ME Station 8.0.8
RS Linx Enterprise 5.71
FactoryTalk Services Platform 2.71

Laptop

RS Linx 3.71
FactoryTalk View Studio 6.10

Make certain in the download tool that you are selecting the PanelView terminal and not the controller it is communicating with. I know that sounds obvious but that is the error you get when you haven't selected the terminal itself.

Likewise, if there is a "+" symbol next to the terminal, do not click on it to expand. That is going too far. Browse the Ethernet and see the terminal. Click on it to select it and then download.

OG

Your runtime file(MER) must match the firmware in the PV+. It looks like you tried to download a version 5.10 into a version 8.0.8 firmware PV+.

Your Studio is 6.10, so you can make runtimes of 6.10 and earlier.

Your choices are:
Upgrade your Studio to at least 8.0 and make a 8.0 runtime file to download.
OR
Firmware flash the PV+ down to version 6.10 or earlier.

Yep , that is what I am downloading now. It is slow . I just did a brand new PV+ 1000 and didn't have any problems, Tech support said the timing of the new PV+ 600 coming had something to do with it. That is a full time job just keeping up with software updates. Have a good weekend , and thanks.

Was downloading FactoryTalk View 8.2 all night , rebooted , opened up FactoryTalk View Studio , and I still have 6.2. Is there anything else I need
to do ? I usually would reboot and the updated version would be there.

Thanks,

I agree that you've run into an issue with the difference between the "PanelView Plus 600" and the "PanelView Plus 6 600", as well as the release of FactoryTalk View ME Studio 6.10.

The part number 2711P-T6C20D8 means the terminal is a PanelView Plus 6 600 with Ethernet (20) and DC power (D) and without the Extended Windows CE Features (8).

When you went to create a *.MER Runtime with FactoryTalk View Studio version 6.10, you saw that it doesn't have a runtime target that exactly matches your terminal; you only have the 5.10 version for PanelView Plus in the selection list. When FactoryTalk View Studio 6.10 was released, the terminals themselves weren't ready so support for them wasn't incorporated into the Runtime target list, even though they would eventually be released with firmware that would work with FTVSME 6.10.

One workaround is to upgrade FactoryTalk View Studio ME, which it sounds like you're getting ready to do.

Another is to work around the Target Runtime selector.

To do this, instead of selecting a PV+ 600 terminal as the hardware platform, select a generic runtime and make it 640 x 480 resolution (which the PV+6-600 uses) with version 6.10 firmware. Such a runtime will work on the PV_6-600 terminal.

I've also had this error message when trying to download an .mer file from a network drive. Completely misleading error message, but I copied the .mer to the desktop and away it went. It wasn't even really a network drive - just that the files were stored on the host machine, and mapped to the VM as a network drive, and so it wouldn't work.

This might not be your problem, but if not, maybe someone in the future will find this useful :)