RS Linx OK, RS Who can't see controller

MartyMaucher

I thought I had this part all figured out. The firmware is v24.052 and should match Logix Designer v24.01.

I can ping the controller, and RS Linx sees the controller fine. But Logix Designer / RS Who does not see the controller, so I can't set the project path.
What's wrong here?

Linx.PNG whoactive.jpg

Looking at that it seems that your device EDS files are missing or messed up somehow. I would try right-clicking on the device in RSLinx and uploading the EDS files from there.

I would agree that it's a normal EDS registration issue except that the browse that is launched from within RSLinx itself looks fine.

What OS and service pack are you running ?

What version of RSLinx Classic ?

Did you install a v21 or higher version of Studio 5000 as an upgrade on this computer ?

RA Knowledgebase Article 526109 (TechConnect required) describes a similar situation related to the migration of EDS management from the Windows Registry to an embedded SQL server along with Studio 5000 v21/RSLinx 3.x.

when the "unexplainable" happens to me, I shut down RSLogix/Studio 5000 COMPLETELY - and then start it up again ...

sometimes that fixes things ...

there's no reasonable explanation for this - so I just chalk it up as an "electronic hairball" - and get on with my life ...

and a helpful rule of thumb - while the hourglass is showing in RSLogix 5000 - I make it a point to NOT move the mouse at all ... just sit back and wait patiently for the "Bill Gates Rolex" to go away ... that seems to cut down on the problems - at least a little bit ...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I still have not resolved this problem. I rebooted and tried many things from article 526109, but Logix Designer / RS Who still cannot recognize the 1756-L73 controller.

This is on a Win 7 Pro, Service Pack 1, 64 bit machine. Originally it had Logix Designer v28 which I uninstalled and installed v24 because that is the latest version that supports the 1756-RM2 redundancy module.

I did load and register the 0001000E005E1500.eds file, but that did not fix it.

Sometimes, RS Linx (v3.80.00) will also not recognize the controller, and I have the run the Rockwell Rslinxcachedelete.bat file to get it to work again.

I think there is still a firmware/software version mismatch problem, even though it is v24.052 firmware and Logix Designer v24.01 as mentioned earlier.

Still looking,
Marty.

PLCRSWho.jpg

In your examples, you aren't showing the same thing. In the RSLinx example you have selected the controller in slot 0. So none of the other items are being updated. Notice how it says Not Browsing at the top.

In the Who Active, it is actively browsing the Ethernet and showing unrecognized devices.

In your RSLinx example, click right where it says AB_ETHIP-1 and then see if the Ethernet devices underneath show errors too.

OG

when the "unexplainable" happens to me, i shut down rslogix/studio 5000 completely - and then start it up again ...

Sometimes that fixes things ...

There's no reasonable explanation for this - so i just chalk it up as an "electronic hairball" - and get on with my life ...

And a helpful rule of thumb - while the hourglass is showing in rslogix 5000 - i make it a point to not move the mouse at all ... Just sit back and wait patiently for the "bill gates rolex" to go away ... That seems to cut down on the problems - at least a little bit ...

+1

just a wild GUESS - but if you've run out of ideas, I'd LEAVE the v24 but then REINSTALL the v28 too ... then see if that somehow "fixes" the v24 communications ... weirder things have happened ...

Originally it had Logix Designer v28 which I uninstalled and installed v24

then you might also check whether or not v28 can "see" the processor using the Who Active feature ... you might not be able to go online with the processor using that version - but maybe trying the experiment would shed some light on the problem you're facing ...

Last edited:
Control Logix, RS Who - OK now

Ron,
I took your advice and installed the latest Logix Designer v29, and it could see the controllers (but not download to the v24 firmware as expected). Went back to Logix Designer v24 and it could see and download to the controllers.

It's like v29 'did something' to clear things up. I guess you could call this a work-around.

Thanks guys,
MM

This is v24 Who Active seeing the controllers fine now:

RSWhoV242.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen this software play all sorts of "tricks" like this ...

basically I NEVER uninstall a version (any more) ... it seems like little pieces of the "uninstalled" version get left behind somehow - and this can affect the other versions ...

chalk it up to experience - and move on ...