CompactLogix Communicating to ViewMarq

dmayhugh

I am trying to display scale weight from Compactlogix process to the ViewMarq LED display using Ethernet. The controller is a 1769-L18ER-BB1B. Has this been done before? If so do you have the logic to make this work?

Thank you,
Dave

I've done this before with a ControlLogix but the concept should be the same.

You are aware that you cannot communicate directly w/ these signs via Ethernet I/P right?

These talk ModbusTCP for the ethernet portion, so we used an Ethernet I/P - ModbusTCP converter.

The ModbusTCP is something that I am finding out. Since ViewMarq is Ethernet capable it was purchased with the assumption that it was straight forward. I ended up getting the task to display from the PLC and am realizing it not as easy as I was told it would be.

Did you use a converter from ProSoft? What would you recommend for the converter and do you remember the price? MicroLogix has ModbusTCP but the compact and controllogix does not. Just worndering if it is cheaper to purchase a micrologix processor and message to it.

I came across this thread looking for information so thought I would add on.

I have a need to display some speeds on a LED matrix type board. Something like

Divider: 2500

So I came across the Viewmarqs and we do the calculations in Red Lions G15 HMI panels. SO I am hoping to send data from the G15 to the Viewmarq via Modbus.

Am I on the corrct path? I can create String Tags in Crimson 3 but not sure if we can send that to the viewmarq.

Open to suggestions.

I've used a couple of Uticor tough marquees before with good results. Really nice units. Not cheap, although I needed some hardcore stainless steel ones for a mining environment, so I wouldn't have expected them to be cheap. The ones I used apparently work very easily with Compact/Control Logix; unfortunately I was using a MicroLogix 1400 and so had to configure it to use Modbus TCP, which was a little more complex. Ultimately it worked well though.

The only PITA was that you couldn't change the ethernet port settings using the ethernet port. I had to hack together a serial cable to set the IP addresses of the damn things.

But other than that, it worked well. Doug Martin from Uticor was quite good to deal with and was very helpful about supporting the product. Set them up on the bench, took them to site, plugged them in, and away they went.

I've used the ViewMarq screens before with good results via RS232 ASCII using a CompactLogix L18 and 1734-RS232ASC module.

Have not used with Modbus TCP but imagine should be fairly straight forward. the ViewMarq software for designing and simulating messages is quite good.

As mdim mentioned above you can use the Rockwell sample code to build a Modbus TCP 'driver' into the newer CompactLogix and ControlLogix processors.

Otherwise I imagine it should be fairly simple to get the Red Lion G15 HMI doing the messaging to the ViewMarq. Generally Red Lions can talk to nearly anything.