[Logix] MSG instruction giving 16#0005 error, not sure why

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I'm getting comms set up on the wastewater side of the project I'm working on, and getting a comms error on one specific site that I can't figure out. I'm using the exact same method at all the other remote sites without error, and Google search results haven't been very helpful with this particular error code nor Rockwell literature.

What's happening at one specific site is that as soon as I enable the MSG, it comes back with an .ER bit, and the error is 16#0005 - Class or instance not supported.

The polling PLC is a 1756-L72 ControlLogix with a 1756-EN2T ethernet module. The remote PLCs are all 1769-L24 CompactLogix controllers, minus one other 1756-L72 with 1756-EN2T (which happens to be the one site that isn't cooperating, which might be odd except that on the water side, I have ControlLogix to ControlLogix comms without any issue with identical code). I'm using CIP Data Table Reads and Writes.

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue? I'm stumped, as the exact same code works on the water side, and for the rest of the wastewater remote sites.

Thanks!

OK, so I double checked my water code and I did notice a slight difference in the MSG path. In the ControlLogix to ControlLogix MSG, the path is
Code:
<module_name>, 2, <IP Address>, 1, 0

however, for all the ControlLogix to CompactLogix, I didn't have the ,1,0 after the IP address.

I've searched for info regarding what those numbers do and can't find much...that solved the problem, but I'm trying to figure out why.

OK, figured it out. The 2 at the beginning says to go out the ethernet port of your local comms module, the 1 at the end says go to the backplane of the remote location, and the 0 is the slot where your remote processor is. Obviously this wasn't needed for the CompactLogix side of things, since they don't have a backplane and separate ethernet module.

The help file for that error code says "Destination unknown, class unsupported, instance undefined or structure element undefined (see extended error codes)".

Do you have an extended error code? That would probably help narrow the problem down significantly.

Without that, I guess you could check to ensure that the two devices can ping each other, and that the addressed tags exist at both ends (with no typo's) and are an identical data type. All things you've probably already checked, but you'd be amazed how many times you can overlook a slightly misplaced decimal point or underscore before you finally see it ;)

Is there any other suggestions on this? I can't find much online. I'm getting the same error but not trying to communicate between two remote devices. I have a ControlLogix 1756 with CPU in slot 0 and a 1756-EWEB in slot 1.

I can send emails from the EWEB webpage without issue, just not automatically from the processor. The path in the message configuration is pretty simple, 1, 0. The configuration settings I pulled from AB directly.

Nevermind, I figured it out. As soon as I registered for the site, the photos on this thread loaded up and it finally clicked to me after I first replied.

All the documentation says to put in the address of the CPU in the MSG Path, (1,0) which is incorrect. You want to put the address of the device sending out the message. In my case, it was (1,1) for the 1756-EWEB module.

Nevermind, I figured it out. As soon as I registered for the site, the photos on this thread loaded up and it finally clicked to me after I first replied.

All the documentation says to put in the address of the CPU in the MSG Path, (1,0) which is incorrect. You want to put the address of the device sending out the message. In my case, it was (1,1) for the 1756-EWEB module.

Yeah AB documentation tends to do that. Very glad to hear you figured it out, and sorry for the late reply; for some reason I wasn't getting updates on thread responses.

And on top of all that, back in the day that I posted this, CPU modules didn't have ethernet built in, and separate comms card was required. Now the new CPU modules have ethernet comms built in so yeah, that's why your comms addressesing wasn't working at first. And just to muddy the waters a little more, Modbus TCP can work with some AOIs with the same CPU card, but anything else like Profibus will be a separate card. Prosoft has several third party comms cards options but man, does it take a bit to set all that up and get it all working.

I am having a very similar issue but I am trying to Read a data table (REAL data type) from a ControlLogix 1756-L73 using CIP Data Table Read instruction in a CompactLogix 1769-L19ER-BB1B.
L73 has processor in slot 0 and EN2T card in slot 1.

I have my path set as 2, 172.16.10.1, 1,0 with 2 being used to go to the Ethernet from the L19ER processor, IP address of the L73, 1 slot of the EN2T and 0 for slot of the processor.

Any thoughts?

I am having a very similar issue but I am trying to Read a data table (REAL data type) from a ControlLogix 1756-L73 using CIP Data Table Read instruction in a CompactLogix 1769-L19ER-BB1B.
L73 has processor in slot 0 and EN2T card in slot 1.

I have my path set as 2, 172.16.10.1, 1,0 with 2 being used to go to the Ethernet from the L19ER processor, IP address of the L73, 1 slot of the EN2T and 0 for slot of the processor.

Any thoughts?

I would bet that it has to do with the CompactLogix. Have you tried just adding the ControlLogix to the IO tree and then selecting it as the path?

I would bet that it has to do with the CompactLogix. Have you tried just adding the ControlLogix to the IO tree and then selecting it as the path?

Unfortunately Module Discovery has an error on opening and I cannot add while online I also can't take the system down to add offline then download to the controller.
I have communications in the other direction. CIP Read message in the L73 reading data from L19ER works fine but message requires only the Rack name, 2 for backplane, and IP address of the L19ER. That data type is DINT.
Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately Module Discovery has an error on opening and I cannot add while online I also can't take the system down to add offline then download to the controller.
I have communications in the other direction. CIP Read message in the L73 reading data from L19ER works fine but message requires only the Rack name, 2 for backplane, and IP address of the L19ER. That data type is DINT.
Thanks for the quick response.

Is there a reason you can't just write the data from the ControlLogix?